Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

I suppose this is the place to ask... Flourescent bulbs...

Old 01-18-04, 01:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all, new here

My house recently had 3 incandescent bulbs burn out in succession and to be frank, I hate dealing with it. I have long heard of using flourescent replacements (the ones that simply fit into the same sockets) that will last longer, and save a signifigant amount of money per month on my electricity bill.

First, is it worth it? I have heard that the 'color' of the light is very far off from what an incandescent has but frankly, if it's close I could care less. I am interested in finding the right brand to buy, how I can judge what to replace say, a 100w incandescent with (there's probably a chart online somewhere) and what kind of savings I would see on a month to month basis.

If anybody has any information about this, I'd really appreciate it. Also helping me choose an online retailer that's helpful and well-priced (I found bulbs.com with a lot of stock of items but it's confusing to go through), I'd really appreciate it. I am looking to replace nearly every bulb in my home with flourescents should the savings be worth it.

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-04, 04:56 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I have replaced most of the incandescent bulbs in my house with these fluorescent retrofits, and have been very happy with the color rendition. I have found that a 15W replaces a 60W, and a 20W replaces a 100W.
Buy one or two to try. They are pretty cheap now, and the color temp is much closer to incandescent thanks to some of the news phosphors.
Sorry, don't know about online suppliers, I just buy 'em at the big orange box.

Old 01-18-04, 05:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
I love and I hate those new compact fluorescents.

I've got four sconces in my living room. Three have compact fluorescents and one is an olde fashioned 40 watt. Nobody has ever noticed any difference between them.

Now here's the kicker. I had to use 20watt fluorescents that said "equal to a 75 watt" to get the same light as a 40 watt bulb. It's still half the power consumption, but don't believe what the package says.

The reason I've got a mix of bulbs in the living room. The new cheaper, compact fluorescent lights seem to have a high infant mortality rate. If they survive the first month of use they live forever. I tried using them all over my new house and found that about 15% of them would die within the first month. That gets expensive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: