NM Cable Clamps

Old 01-19-04, 08:03 AM
H
hotarc
Visiting Guest
NM Cable Clamps

What is the code's position on passing 2 NM cables thru one 3/8" clamp? I have seen it done on many occasions, and even purchased some before that were listed for use with 2 cables. However the most recent batch I bought didn't say anything about the number of cables, just "install in accordance with local codes", or something to that effect.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 08:19 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ah, the dilemma. The code passes the buck to the manufacturer. The code say it's okay only if the clamp is listed for more than one cable. The manufacturer typically passes the buck back by saying that you must install it according to applicable code. I put two small cables through a 3/8" clamp and have never had a problem.

While we're on the subject, my pet peeve is that it's called a 3/8" clamp but fits a 3/4" knockout and has about a 5/8" inside diameter. Go figure.

Old 01-19-04, 08:54 AM
H
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Okay thanks. Specifically, I am talking about putting (2) 12/2 cables thru one clamp. (Forgot to mention that in first post.) I assume by small you mean 12/2 or 14/2 cables?

I agree with you on the sizing. It can get confusing until you learn how it is setup. Instead of trade sizes, etc., why not just call it what it is???

Old 01-19-04, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I will put any conbination of (2) 14/2, 14/3, 12/2, 12/3 cables in a standard RX connector. Never a one question from an inspector.