Wiring for air compressor

Old 01-19-04, 08:10 AM
starfarm
Visiting Guest
Wiring for air compressor

Just stumbled across a great deal on a 5 hp, 80 gallon compressor that I would like to install in the garage (would love to put in the basement, but too heavy to be practical)...couple of questions come to mind..

1) Obviuosly it must be hard wired...nameplate data is 230/1/60 with an FLA of 22.5. Assume a wire run of 25 feet

- What size circuit breaker/wiring would be required.
- Assume a local disconnect must be provided near the motor, what size is required?

2) There is a subpanel in the house on a 50 amp breaker....currently there is one (1) 15 amp breaker (outdoor lights) and one (1) 20 amp breaker (whirlpool tub) in the subpanel....can I run the air compressor of this subpanel?

Thanks,

Pat

Old 01-19-04, 08:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Obviously it must be hard wired
Not so obvious. Put in a 30-amp double-pole breaker wired with 10/2 cable to a 30-amp 3-hole receptacle. Install a matching cord on your compressor. A 3-prong dryer cord will do. This will also serve as your disconnect.

Yes, you can run the compressor off the subpanel.

Old 01-19-04, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Agreed.

If not; 30 amp 2 pole breaker, 3- #10 wires (2 hot, 1 ground) in either conduit or cable, 30 amp non-fused disconnect or 30 amp (small) breaker enclosure or even a 60 amp a/c pullout disconnect, 1/2" flex to the motor or starter.

Old 02-02-04, 05:00 AM
starfarm
Visiting Guest
Decided to go the 30 amp dryer outlet, with 3 prong dryer cord to the compressor.

I noticed that the wiring diagram included with the outlet showed a total of 3 wires, two hot and a neutral? And there is also a warning about not using this outlet for equipment grounding?

And the dryer cord with a plug that matches the receptacle has two wires and a ground?

I was planning on using 10/2 with ground for the circuit, can I use the ground wire as the neutral in this case? And this ground wire would be connected to the ground bar in the subpanel?

Am I confusing the neutral/ground in this application?

Thanks again,

Pat

Old 02-02-04, 07:37 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your compressor has no neutral, just two hots and a grounding wire. The instructions are assuming that you're using this dryer receptacle for a dryer, which does have a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: