Run Flex from Attic down wall?

Old 01-20-04, 07:03 AM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
Run Flex from Attic down wall?

Any ideas of the easiest way to run my flex from the attic to the switch in the wall?

Old 01-20-04, 07:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what do you mean by "flex"? Armor clad (BX)? Romex (NM)? I guess it doesn't matter too much, just how you connect to the box. Drill a hole in the top plate of the stud cavity where the switch is going to be. Cut a hole for the switch box and use a piece of sash chain or a fish tape to go from the attic to the switch hole. Attach the cable to the chain/tape and pull the cable in. Put the wire in the box and install the box in the wall with hold-its.

Old 01-20-04, 08:00 AM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
exisiting switch and box are already in the wall just adding bx from switch to new ceiling fan.

Old 01-20-04, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question new wire

Is it code there that you have to go with BX? Cant you pull this in the wall there with sheathed cable. Like scott said and pull it in the box you have in a new knock out? ED

Old 01-20-04, 08:59 AM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
I am completely lost, not hard to do though.

I switch currently controls a receptacle and I am installing a new ceiling fan/light, there is no current light in the ceiling now. I need to run power from the exisiting switch to the new ceiling fan/light.

How do I run the wires up the wall from the switxch into the attic to the ceiling fan?

Old 01-20-04, 09:16 AM
R
Why are you using flex? if it is a code requirement fine, use it. However, if you can use something else, such as NM-B, then I would do so, as it is much easier.

To run cable to an existing switch you must employ luck. Sometimes it takes a while. I have gone from both directions, from the switch and from the attic. Use a fish tape, a sturdy piece of wire or whatever you can think of and just keep plugging away.

Or, you could replace the existing switchbox which would make the whole process easier.

Old 01-20-04, 09:24 AM
If I remember correctly from reading earlier threads, nanes72 is in the Chicago area--which I understand requires the 'flex'.

(Or at least doesn't allow NM--I suppose you can use conduit in that area???)

Old 01-20-04, 11:03 AM
T
Some areas around Chicago allow NM cable, but you have to pretty far (50 or so miles away). Close suburbs require all metal electrical, either EMT or BX (for short distances only, but I've seen 50' runs of BX). If you have the height in the attic it's much easier to run EMT (even if you have to join a couple of pcs) rather then run BX. At least you can control which way the EMT is heading.

Old 01-20-04, 12:38 PM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
I live in a northern suburb Round Lake Heights, I think I am gonna go with Romex (NM), can I use this to connect the 4 recessed lights to the ceiling fan as well?

Old 01-20-04, 12:43 PM
nanes72
Visiting Guest
Does Romex (NM) come in 14-3

Old 01-20-04, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes it does 14/3 with bareED

Old 01-20-04, 02:50 PM
T
I think that far north NM is allowed. I know Gurnee and Beach Park allow it.
I think 14 gauge NM is white in color.

Old 01-20-04, 03:27 PM
R
NM-B cable can be any color. it is only recently that some manufacturers have started using different colored jackets for their cable. Not all manufacturers do this, and those that do do not necessarily use the same colors as any other manufacturer.

Old 01-21-04, 11:28 AM
jsfetzik
Visiting Guest
I am not an electrician but have heard from one that if you are in Cook county, which includes all of Chicago and the 'close' suburbs, code calls for conduit. Outside of Cook county it varies. As mentioned above the further out the less likely the need for conduit.

What you really should do is call up your local inspectors office at your city/town hall and ask. I have found them to be very willing to answer such informational questions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: