bathroom light and fan on one switch?

Old 01-20-04, 08:01 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom light and fan on one switch?

Is there any danger in putting my bathroom fan and light on the same switch so that both turn on and off at the same time? I recently changed switches (two single pole switches in one unit) but forgot the wiring pattern that had one switch dedicated to the light, and the other switch to the fan. I'd like to leave it so that one of the switches does nothing and the other controls both light and fan. Any risk of overload? Thanks!

Old 01-20-04, 08:05 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It's fine.

If humidity and mold is a problem in your climate, you may want the light and fan to come on at the same time to force your family to control the humidity. Hotels commonly do this. If you do this, however, do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks for a quiet fan.

Old 01-20-04, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depending on how you got 2 wires to connect to 1 switch, it should be fine. Can't put 2 wires under 1 screw, but you can wire nut the 2 wires together with a third short wire and put the third wire under the switch screw. I would also pull the spare switch out and find a plate that has a full cover on one side and a cut out for the single switch on the other. Most home improvement stores have them.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: