wall mounted light fixtures

Old 01-20-04, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question wall mounted light fixtures

I'm remodeling a bathroom and part of that process is to change the lighting. The previous lights were hanging, suspended by chains from the ceiling on either side of a mirror. These light were wired from an existing box that at some point in time had a light fixture attached.

That's the background, now here are my questions:

Can I splice two wires from the existing box and run them behind the wall to the new fixtures and put a plate on the box in the ceiling so it can still be accessed?

Second. Would it be a bad idea to use old construction boxes to secure the fixtures? (The will be in the middle of two studs.) Or should I cut open the wall and install a box with a bar mounted to the studs.

Any tips on getting the wire from the ceiling down behind the walls with out cutting holes? (No access from above)

Thanks for your help. I really enjoy reading the forum posts.

Old 01-20-04, 12:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can make splices in permanently accessible junction boxes.

Whether or not an old-work box between studs is sufficient depends on the weight of the fixture. If the fixture is light, then sure. Otherwise, mount it to the framing.

With no access from above, I don't think it's possible to get the wire down inside the walls without at least a couple of small holes in the drywall. Drywall repair is pretty easy after you've done it a couple of times.

Old 01-20-04, 01:08 PM
Visiting Guest
John thanks for you quick response. You told me what I wanted to hear. Unfortuantly I fix a lot drywall in my house. (Built in 1972 with no updates or repairs still taking out the intercom system that hasn't worked since Reagan).

I'll go with the attached boxes as well.

Anything else I should do or look out for?

Hope to finish by this weekend, I'll let you know how it comes out and if it measures up to my standard.

Thanks again.

Last edited by 1975; 01-20-04 at 02:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: