Tripping GFCI

Old 01-21-04, 09:31 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tripping GFCI

For reasons related to the potential combination of water and electricity, and with full knowledge of the potential for nuisance tripping becuase of the motors, several years ago I replaced the standard outlet (grounded) that my washer and dryer plug into with a GFCI. For years, it was fine. Recently, however, the GFCI has been tripping when the washer hits a certain point during its cycle (always the same point). Thoughts on what this could be?

Old 01-21-04, 09:39 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most motors have some current leakage. This leakage can increase as the motor gets older. This is why washing machine receptacles do not require GFCI and why GFCI is not normally used there.

I offer you these options:
(1) Replace the GFCI with a regular receptacle.
(2) Buy a new GFCI. GFCI receptacles manufactured after January 1, 2003 are more resistant to false tripping. This may or may not work for you.
(3) Buy a new washing machine.

Old 01-21-04, 09:56 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response. If the trip occurred at the point where the motor comes on, I would understand. What I find curious is that, as my wife explains it, the trip occurs at a point during the spin cycle at which which the motor is already running (more precisely, at the point at which a valve solenoid is energized to release additional rinse water into the basket while spinning).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: