Landscape light bulbs

Old 01-21-04, 06:45 PM
Creativeone38
Visiting Guest
Question Landscape light bulbs

I have some landscape lighting by Twlight lighting a division of smart industries. The lights are too bright. It look like a freakin runway outside. My problem is.......I want to put in bulbs that are about 8 watts or so. 12 watt ones came with it. They are 12 volt and the bulbs look like a regular incandescent, kinda like auto bulbs. They have no threads on them but just 2 small knobs sticking out on the sides of them. I have looked everywhere for lower wattage bulbs but can't find them. Any suggestions?

Old 01-21-04, 07:45 PM
texsparky
Visiting Guest
Maybe you have too large of a transformer......This is from their website.

[QUOTE] Should I use my transformer to its full capacity?

Yes, a smaller load on the transformer will cause the transformer output to increase which can decrease the life of the light bulbs in your lighting.

This is why we recommend you change any burned out bulb as soon as possible to prevent the remaining bulbs from burning out prematurely.[/QOUTE]

Old 01-22-04, 06:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
check out your local boat supply store.
Running lights and some Cabin interior lights are 12 volt systems.

More importantly then the two knobs on the sides of the blubs which are just used to seat and hold the blub is the bottom, is it a single bayonett or double.

Old 01-23-04, 08:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are the lights wired in series or parallel? Usually yard lights are in parallel so the number and wattage of each light has nothing to do with the output of the other lights. If these are in series, simply add another light and the output of all should go down.

Since it's more likely that they are wired in parallel, your thought of finding lower wattage bulbs is good. Some home inprovement chains have a better selection of bulbs for landskape lighting than others. You might also want to look in the automotive section of local deptartment stores or, as ERIKGENE suggested, a boat supply store.

A couple more thoughts: Some of the better landskape lighting transformers have a HI/LO switch built in to lower the brightness of the lights and extend bulb life. Find one with a wattage rating similar or higher to the one you have and you should be set. It is also possible to add a resister to the hot side of the power output to decrease the light output, but I have no idea how to size a resister to get the results you want.

Good luck.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: