Old 01-21-04, 09:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Is it required when say that I'm helping my grandfather-in-law with finishing his basement that the electrical must be done by a licenced one? and not by the homeowner?


Old 01-21-04, 09:50 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
It really depends on your local code requirements, which only your local code official can answer.
Old 01-22-04, 08:16 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 17,733
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are three models which seem to be followed in various parts of the country:[list=1][*]A person can do all of their own work in a home that they both own and live in, with the proper permits.[*]Same as above, but the homeowner must pass an electrical knowledge test first.[*]Only licensed electricians can do this work.[/list=1]The first model is the most common. As Jeff says, call your building department and ask.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: