Lighting

Old 01-22-04, 08:36 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lighting

Part of my basement remodel is to create a small art studio for my wife. The room is about 10x20 ft and has no windows.

For lighting, I plan to use three 1x4 ft surface mount fluorescent fixtures, each containing two tubes (40 watts per tube I think). Is this going to be enough light? What is the best arrangement to install the fixtures - in a line down the center of the room parallel to the long wall, or side by side parallel to the short wall?

Old 01-22-04, 10:35 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Side-by-side will give you better light distribution with less shadows.
I'm no expert on art, but I think you might want even more light than that. Consult with other artists or check other studios to see how they light 'em.
Andy

Old 01-22-04, 01:31 PM
M
Fluorescent tubes come in a variety of colors and intensities. Make sure you choose the best for your application. An art studio is not an office and the color rendering properties of the tubes will be important.

Instead of 2-tube fixtures, why not go with 4-tube?

Old 01-22-04, 02:49 PM
M
Yeah, that would surely give plenty of light. Thing is, the 4-tube fixtures I looked at are far more than twice the cost of the 2-tube fixtures. I want to give her enough light without breaking the bank.

Old 01-23-04, 05:44 AM
M
All I can tell you is to try what you have and add more if necessary. BTW, did you price the cost of the higher temperature fluorescent bulbs? You're going to have to dig pretty deep for those unless you want to go with the standard cool white tubes.

Old 01-23-04, 06:00 AM
M
No, I haven't gotten into pricing bulbs yet. My wife is going to ask some of her artist friends who already have studios to see what type of light they recommend.

I guess the only way to "try what I have" is to temporarily wire them up before I drywall the ceiling and let her decide if it's enough light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: