How to Install a 220v Outlet

Old 01-25-04, 07:39 PM
unit213
Visiting Guest
How to Install a 220v Outlet

I just picked up a commercial grade treadmill and I need to run a 220v outlet for it. Is this a DIY'er type job or should I call a professional. I'm no electrician, but I do have some basic electrical knowledge (chemical engineer).

If you wouldn't recommend doing it, how much can I expect to pay to have it done professionally?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Old 01-25-04, 08:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing a 240-volt circuit is almost the same as installing a 120-volt circuit, but twice the danger if you mess it up. Since it involves some work inside the panel, it is not a good first electrical project. Bottom line is that it is relatively simple (especially for an engineer), but potentially dangerous.

Do what you'd do for any engineering project. Do good research first and you'll be fine. For this project, start by reading a few good books on home wiring.

Old 01-26-04, 11:41 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 1st.-step is to select the correct Wiring Method which is a product that is used to route enclosed electrical conductors from Point A to Point B.

If the route is along, thru, or under exposed wood framing members, then Non-Metallic Cable may be suitable. If the route is across the surface of finished wall and ceilings, use PVC conduit.

We'll need detailed info on the structural conditions between the panel and the point where the conductors will terminate for a Code-compliant connection to the load.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: