Can lighting in basement

Old 01-26-04, 06:31 AM
DE3ROX
Visiting Guest
Question Can lighting in basement

Im in the process of installing cans in my basement ceiling. The plan was to have 12 of them. 6 down each side. I have all the wire ran and such, but yesterday when I was down there just putting around I was reading the fine print that is stamped into the can. It says, "maximum of 8 no.12 awg branch circuit conductors suitable for at least 90 degrees permitted in junction box (4 in 4 out)"

MY question is this. Does that mean if im going to run all 12 It probably would be a good idea to have them on 2 circuits, ie: 2 seperate switches? Im already using 12 awg. The lights that I purchase are from Commercial Electric and are rated "IC" althou there will be no insulation in the drywalled ceiling. Im going to have a bedroom downstairs as well, and wanted them to be on a 3 way swtich so my daughter can hit the switch when she went to her room and then could turn them off when she was there and vise-versa. ( she has a problem with the dark i guess, lol)

Any input would be great appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-04, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You are mis-interpreting what you are reading.

You are fine with your setup as long as your 12-2 wires go from one light to the next, etc.

The restriction refers to box fill for the junction box built into the can. What it says is that you cannot run more than four 12-2 cables into one lamp.

Old 01-26-04, 07:06 AM
The limitation of wire quantity is due to the size of the box (in cubic inches). Why would you have more than 8 in any box?
In most situations, there will be one three (or two) conductor + Gnd cable run between the fixtures.
See site below
http://www.homewiringandmore.com/swi...3way/3way.html

Old 01-27-04, 05:58 AM
DE3ROX
Visiting Guest
"You are fine with your setup as long as your 12-2 wires go from one light to the next, etc. "

That was my plan. So what your saying is that's it's ok to have all 12 on the same curcuit? Thats all that will be on that one is just those lights, nothing else.

Thanks to both of you for your speedy response! :-)

Old 01-27-04, 07:15 AM
A 20 amp circuit can easily and safely supply the power your lights.

Old 01-27-04, 07:31 AM
You can safely put a lot more than 12 cans on a 20A circuit. Assuming 65W bulbs your 12 cans will only draw 6.5A. You could double the number of lights and still not come close to stressing the circuit.

Old 01-28-04, 03:51 AM
DE3ROX
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks to all who posted back to me.

I love this site!!!!

Have a great day!!!