lighting in basement

Old 01-26-04, 01:43 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question lighting in basement

I have one light that works with a light switch in the basement. The switch is at the top of the stairs and the light is at the bottom of the steps. There are 3 other lights that all work with pull chains. How can i hook up the other 3 to the switch so when I turn on the switch all 4 lights come on. Right now there is Romex wire leading from one light to the next with white, black, and a ground wire in each romex wire.

Old 01-26-04, 03:18 PM
R
You may be able to use the existing wiring, or you may have to run new wire.

Look at the other three lights (the ones with pull chains). Are there other wires that enter/leave the other three lights, or are the wires for the lights the only wires in the box?

Old 01-27-04, 08:59 AM
M
There is one set of wires coming in and then another set of wires leaving to go to the next light. Is that what you are asking? Does that answer your question? Do I just need to run a red wire to each light (with the pull chains) and cap off the black wires? Or am I way off base?

Old 01-27-04, 09:11 AM
R
In addition to the wires for the light, are there other wires in the junction boxes?

What I am asking is if the wires that provide power to the other basement lights provide power to any other circuits in the house.

Old 01-27-04, 09:35 AM
M
No as far as I can tell they don't!

Old 01-27-04, 10:27 AM
R
If the hot wire for the additional lights does not provide power to other circuits then all you need to do is modify the connection of the black wire at the switched light.

Connect the black wire that connects to the additional lights to the switched hot wire that is connected to the switched light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: