How can you tell outlet difference......

Old 01-28-04, 08:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can you tell outlet difference......

I bought my first home and it has a few outlets near the amp box. I was going to put a freezer in the garage but it needs a 115v outlet. How do I know if I have one (or is there a way to tell) or do I have to have someone come out to look at it? Do they make some sort of tester to check or?
THX
Dan

Old 01-28-04, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You can use a voltage meter, but standard residential receptacles are 110-120v, either two-prong (no ground) or three-prong (supposedly grounded).
It should be O.K. to plug in your freezer in the garage, especially if it's a three-prong receptacle.

Old 01-28-04, 09:38 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the plug fits the receptacle, then the circuit is the right voltage and amperage. However, your freezer will most likely overload that circuit. You need to find out what else shares the circuit with the garage receptacle. It is common for receptacles in basements, front and back porches, and bathrooms to share this circuit. If so, then if the freezer kicks on while someone is using a hair dryer, the breaker will likely trip. Furthermore, it is likely that the garage receptacle is GFCI protected. This is usually undesirable for a freezer, since a GFCI trip could spoil hundreds of dollars of food.

For these reasons and more, it is usually best to have a new dedicated circuit installed for a garage freezer. If you choose to run your freezer temporarily on this receptacle, be sure to check frequently to see if it still has power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: