bathroom fan/light combination

Old 01-28-04, 04:50 PM
Duane Shockley
Visiting Guest
bathroom fan/light combination

I am replacing a bathroom ceiling light/fan combo that is using 2 separate switches. 1 controls the fan the other the light. The wire for the fan is 12/3 w ground and the light has 12/2 w ground. knowing that the black and red in the 12/3 are hot, i need assistance wiring this fan/light. The 12/3 is connected to the switch for the fan and the 12/2 is connected to the switch for the light. The fixture has a black wire and a white wire for the fan and a blue wire and a white wire for the light. Normally the black goes to black and in this case the black to the blue. The white goes to the white and the grounds go together and ground to the fixture. Where does the red wire fit into this?

Old 01-28-04, 04:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hold on there.

Have you tested the wires to see what is hot and what is not when the switches are on and when they are off?

Have you opened the switches to see what wires are in the switch boxes?

Depending on where the switches are, I would expect that either the red/black/white cable is a switch loop while the black/white cable is power, or that the red/black/white is power and a switched hot and the white/black is a switch loop.

Why don't you open the switch boxes and tell us the cables that are in them. Be specific, tell us all the cables whether they cvonnect to the switch or not. Also tell us if there are any other wires in the light/fan box.

Old 01-28-04, 05:09 PM
Duane Shockley
Visiting Guest
Quick response!! Thanks. After opening the switch panel this is what I found. On the switch that is to control the light: black wire on top, Red wire on bottom. On the switch that is to control the fan: Black on top, white on bottom. The black wires from each switch are tied together with a wirenut. Interesting enough, all of the wires are from the 12/3 with ground and there is no sign of the 12/2 with ground.

Old 01-28-04, 05:28 PM
R
Tewll me about the other wires with the switches, and tell me what else is in the wirenut with the two black wires from the switches, and where this wirenut is located.

I am trying to draw a picture of this in my head and I need all the pieces, and I do mean ALL the pieces.

Old 01-28-04, 07:11 PM
R
Duane,

I am going to take a shot at what I believe you have.

I believe that the 12/3 going to the switches are a switch loop. It sounds like the power comes down the black wire and branches to each switch. One switch supplies power to the red wire, and the other switch to the white wire.

Make the following connections at the fan/light:

Connect the two black wires together with a wire nut.

Connect the white wire from the 12/2 to the white wires feeding the fan and light.

Connect the red wire from the 12/3 to the black wire for the fan.

Connect the white wire from 12/3 to the blue wire for the light.

Connect all grounds to each other, to the metal boxes, to the switches, and to the fan and light, as appropriate.

Note that if I am correct that this will work, but it also has a code violation. I believe that the white wire in the 12/3 is a switched hot wire. This is against code. The white wire should be reidentified as black (with black marker or tape) and used as the always hot instead of the black wire.

If this were my house I would correct that violation. However, doing so means changing the connections at the switches, which you may not want to do. If you decide to go ahead and correct the violation, then you need to make the following change at the switch:

Leave the red wire alone. Swap the black and white wires. (Connect the black wire to one side of the switch, and connect the white wire to the black wires that go to both switches.

You then change my original directions as follows:

Make the following connections at the fan/light:

Connect the black wire from the 12/2 to the white wire of the 12/3 with a wire nut.

Connect the white wire from the 12/2 to the white wires feeding the fan and light.

Connect the red wire from the 12/3 to the black wire for the fan.

Connect the black wire from 12/3 to the blue wire for the light.

Connect all grounds to each other, to the metal boxes, to the switches, and to the fan and light, as appropriate.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-28-04, 08:32 PM
Duane Shockley
Visiting Guest
What I described earlier is all that is in the box at the switches.

Old 01-29-04, 06:41 AM
R
Duane,

I appreciate your trying to answer my questions and provide details, but you still haven't supplied all the information I am requesting.

For example, you haven't said how the black wires at the switches are connected. I am assuming that the black wire entering the switch is wirenutted with two pigtails, one to each switch.

You also haven't said if there are any other wires in the ceiling box at the fan/light.

This information may not seem important to you, but it is very important.

Go with my suggestion above. let me know if that works. if it doesn't then you will have to provide detailed information.

It's apparently too late now, but it would have helped if you had taken detailed notes on how the old fan and light were connected.

Old 01-29-04, 04:50 PM
Duane Shockley
Visiting Guest
LET THERE BE LIGHT AND FAN LOL Everything worked like a charm, and you were right about the code violation so i corrected it also. Thanks so very much for your help.

Old 01-29-04, 05:55 PM
R
Glad that I could help and that all works fine now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: