Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

Old 01-28-04, 06:31 PM
mostwanted
Visiting Guest

I found this on another site I frequent alot.

How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-04, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I really liked that!
And "mostwanted" hasn't even met the humor police yet.
ROFLMAO

Old 01-28-04, 07:44 PM
You forgot;

Those who "Zaino" the bulbs because they shine brighter, and those who decry "Zaino-ing" as overkill, totally unnecessary with today's modern light bulb coating.

Those who advise that using "synthetic" light bulb lubricant is the only way to insure that bulbs do not burn out prematurely and are easier to remove when change out is required.

...opposed by those "purists" who insist that "dino" light bulb lubricant is all that is really needed and that synthetic is overkill.

The "ones with special inside knowledge" who insist that synthetic light bulb lube has been proven in "numerous tests" to outperform all others.

I got a big kick out of this post. Just couldn't resist adding my own pet peeves.

Frank

Old 01-28-04, 08:14 PM
L
So, has anybody done the math to figure out just how many members it takes??

Just curious.

That was good,

Mike (aka, Lefty)

Old 01-28-04, 10:49 PM
Best I have read in more than a month!
Thank you for sharing.
Where did you find it?
Can you provide a link? Are there additional comments at the other forum? I would love to read!

gj

Old 01-29-04, 07:30 AM
J
It's creepy how accurate that list is!

Old 01-29-04, 08:17 AM
mostwanted
Visiting Guest
Where did you find it?
not an electrical related website, but if you are into diesel trucks, an A1 group on any account:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...threadid=38200

Old 01-29-04, 10:41 AM
Shouldn't this thread be moved to the "Small Appliances" forum??

Doug M.

PS. Lefty, 179, but, as we know, some of the same members probably replied in multiple categories, so we'll really never be able to accurately answer the question of "How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?" We'll have to start a new thread and try to discover this on our own.

Old 01-29-04, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Don't want to stir up anything, but...as the only duly Licensed And Insured Light Bulb Changer on DIY.com, I insist on starting a new forum just so I can be Moderator on something where I may or may not have some modicum of expertise.
lefty can fill in the blanks from the West Coast perspective, and everyone else can help, too.
I can see where this could become a monster forum here. LOL

Old 01-29-04, 04:19 PM
P
4 F-M's are needed to re-place an incandecent lamp, presuming the lamp-holder has an Edison-base screw-shell socket, and a step-ladder is needed to reach the lamp-holder.

One F-M on the ladder holds the lamp in position, and the other 3 rotate the ladder.

Old 01-29-04, 04:34 PM
P
Here's you'r problem---- You have a 3-gang switch-outlet box, and each switch controls a single lamp-holder (incandecent lamps) at un-specifed locations in a concealed attic. You indentify the 3 switches as "L", "C", & "R".

It's required that you manipulate the switches either On or Off, push-aside the acess-cover, crawl into the attic ,and determine which lamp-holder is controlled by which switch.

Old 01-29-04, 04:49 PM
J
That's an old puzzler but a good one. I heard it again recently on Car Talk.

Old 01-29-04, 04:57 PM
R
That puzzle is too easy if you take long enough to think about it.

Old 01-29-04, 06:46 PM
M
Forgot:

3 to tell the original poster to read two or three good books on light bulb changing and post back with any questions

Old 01-30-04, 06:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 590 Votes on 544 Posts
Oooh, Oooh.... I know how to change a light bulb....

Lets see:
1. contact Inspections Dept. for a permit
2. put on safety glasses
3. put on heavy welding gloves
4. turn off breaker to that circuit
5. turn off main house breaker
6. call power company to disconnect power to your side of city
7. Oh, damn.... where did I put the new light bulb...

Old 01-30-04, 09:23 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
...and then realize the architect spec'd the wrong location.

Old 01-30-04, 09:56 PM
L
not only the "wrong location", he was dealing with the WRONG JOB!! So, now, the wrong light bulb just got delivered 3 towns away!!!

And they want US to install it? And then it's on us to make sure it works, TOO??? Man, WHO ARE THESE GUYS????

Old 02-02-04, 11:24 AM
B
Here's a true story. I witnessed it first hand. This happened at GE's Appliance Park in Louisville. An overhead flourescent light went out that qc inspectors needed to properly inspect refrigerator door panels. Until the tube is replaced, a portable halogen work light is set up for the inspectors to use. The foreman puts in a request for a new tube. A couple of days later the maintenance foreman comes and looks at the dead tube. Maintenance foreman tells manufacturing foreman the tube will be replaced between shifts so no time will be lost. About a week later, a maintenance man comes by, takes a work order out, and looks at the dead tube. He comes back the next day, after the first shift has left, and looks at it again. While he's there, a second maintenance man comes along. They put their heads together and both look at the dead tube. They leave and come back carrying an 8 foot step ladder. About this time 2 more maintenance men come along. All 4 put their heads together and stare at the dead tube. The first maintenance man tells them to set the ladder up. Ladder is set up, and he climbs it and looks the tube and holder over. He comes down and no one has the right tools to properly release the safety catches on the holder. They all split up, and come back in about 15 minutes. By this time the second shift is coming in. It's decided they'll come back tomorrow, between shifts and do the job. They leave the ladder and take off. Next day, they come back, position the ladder, and surprise, they have the proper tools. Only now there are 5 of'em changing the tube. The man climbs the ladder, releases the safety catches, and drops the tube to the floor where it explodes. Meanwhile the 4 who were holding the ladder have scattered when they see the tube start to fall. After they sweep up the mess, someone asks who has the replacement tube. You guessed it. No one had the replacement. I think it was the following week before they finally got the replacement tube installed. And that's how many maintenance men, and how long it takes to change a flourescent tube in a GE plant. Unless, of course, a good looking woman needs something done!!! LOL

Old 02-03-04, 07:04 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
The lights in the attic problem.
I hate it when the solution isn't promptly given so I had to think about it. I hate thinking.
But I came up with a solution thanks to the cat:
Turn one switch on for a couple of minutes. Turn it off. Turn on one of the other switches and go into the attic. One light will be on and the other two off. You got one identified. Then TOUCH the other two bulbs. One will be warm and that is the one you just turned off.
All your circuits should be labeled and you should have an up-to-date wiring schematic so you won't have this problem.
~Peter