Wiring for Dryer and Washer

Old 01-29-04, 05:03 AM
CutterElk
Visiting Guest
Smile Wiring for Dryer and Washer

Hello all, I hope all is well. Really cold here in MN. :-)
I have just finsied all of the wiring for our basement remodel. One thing we are doing is moving the laundry room downstairs. I am almost ready to hook up the washer and dryer once the plumbing and sheetrock is finished. I know the Dryer has to be on it's own breaker, 220 with a 4 wire (4 Prong outlet, which is code). My question is: Does the washer also have to be on it's own breaker.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Andy

Old 01-29-04, 05:39 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, the washer needs to be on it's own circuit. This is because it is considered to be an immovable appliance.

Old 01-29-04, 05:41 AM
CutterElk
Visiting Guest
re:

Okay, eve if only 120V. Okay, makes sense. One more question. Will a 20 AMP breaker be what I need or should I go 30 AMP?

Thanks again

Old 01-29-04, 05:53 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unless you have some fancy washer, even a 15 amp circuit would work, but I would install a 20 amp one.

Old 01-29-04, 05:55 AM
CutterElk
Visiting Guest
re:

Thank you so much. I will make it 20 just to be on the safe side. Nothing special just a Whirpool Gold, Thank you for the quick response on my questions. Enjoy the rest of your Day!

Andy

Old 01-29-04, 08:24 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Code requires one 20-amp dedicated circuit for laundry area receptacles. This circuit must be 20 amps, and must serve nothing else but laundry area receptacles (i.e., no lighting and no other receptacles). But it need not necessarily be dedicated to the washing machine alone. The rule has nothing to do with immovable appliances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: