Can I remove the grounding wire?

Old 01-29-04, 11:29 AM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Can I remove the grounding wire?

I have a follow up question about the grounding rod. A grounding rod was placed right next to the service line when my electrical system was upgraded to 200 Amp from 100 Amp (I don't know how deep it is buried but I suppose it was done correctly sice it was done by a licences electrician.) Previously, the electrical system was gounded to the water pipe at opposite side of the house(copper wire is running through the basement ~ about 50ft). With the grounding rod in place, can I now remove the grounding wire that was connected to the house water supply pipe? I heard the ground wire causes pin hole in the copper pipe. Thank you for your advice.

Old 01-29-04, 12:00 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe that it must remain inasmuch as current code (if I am not mistaken) requires both. I'm sure a pro will be along shortly and will correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-29-04, 12:37 PM
R
No, you cannot remove the wire connected to the water pipe. Your electrical system needs to means of grounding. The ground rod and the water pipe provide these.

Even if you had another means, the water pipes must still be connected to the electrical system grounding.

The information about the grounding of the water pipes causing pinhole leaks is BS. Somneone doesn't know what they are talking about.

Old 01-29-04, 01:08 PM
P
The water-service line must remain as the "Primary" Grounding-Electrode. You would have a corrosion problem if the Grounding Electrode Conductor was Aluminum,( dis-similiar metals) but your's is Copper.

Old 01-29-04, 01:14 PM
kk007
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I will leave it alone!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: