New circuit question

Old 02-02-04, 12:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New circuit question

I want to put in 2 new circuits outside my home for use when working on stuff outside. My question is do I have to run 2 hot wires and two neutral wires or can I run 2 hots and share one neutral

Old 02-02-04, 03:50 AM
W
Outside your house as in exposed to the weather? Then no, you need a GFCI for that and they don't share neutrals well.

Old 02-02-04, 07:42 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
By code it could be done either way. But running two hots and two neutrals is simpler, less error prone, and cheaper (if you have more than one outlet on each circuit).

Old 02-11-04, 10:56 PM
S
Does it matter what type of wire to use. I want to run 2 20 amp circuits. Is 12 gauge good enough ? Do I have to use stranded wire or can I use THHN

Old 02-12-04, 06:39 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not enough information to fully answer your questions.

#12 copper is good enough for a 20-amp circuit.

THHN is only allowed in "dry" locations, unless the THHN is also rated THWN (most of it is). NM-B, however, is only allowed in "dry" locations. UF-B is allowed in wet locations. Tell us exactly where this wire will be and we'll help you figure out whether it is a "dry" location, as the word "dry" is defined by the NEC.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stranded," but I pretty sure it isn't what I mean by that word. Please clarify.

Old 02-12-04, 02:39 PM
S
Im going to take the load off one heavy circuit and make it 3 separate circuits. I have one circuit that controls my entire living room. Im going to disconnect the receptacle that runs to my computer workstation and disconnect the receptacle to my entertainment center leaving jsut the recessed lights in the ceiling to be on the existing circiut. I will then run a new condiit from my fuse box with 2 hot wires and 2 neutral wires. One new circuit for my computer and one new circuit for my entertainment center.

Stranded? I was told by the guy in the Loews that its better to use the stranded wire that to just use solid copper

Old 02-12-04, 03:45 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Something changed

From 2 outside receptacles with GFI to 2 indoor circuits for Computer and Entertainment Center!! You can use 1X 3 wire circuit!! and split it at the first receptacle!!! Only reason not to for outside is GFI's have problems with 3 wire circuits, Inside with standard receps, see no problem!! A personal suggestion, make it 14/3 NM and 15 Amp circuits, I have seen lamp cord burn on a 20 amp circuit without tripping a 20 Amp breaker!!! I was on the code commitee and for many years we were trying to make it a code requirement that attachment plugs be fused at the rating of the lamp cord connected!! Too much industry opposition though !!!

Old 02-12-04, 09:21 PM
S
outside inside 2 different orijects should of posted in a new thread sorry

Old 02-12-04, 09:22 PM
S
projects

Search this Thread

Ask a Question