Locate wires in walls

Old 02-04-04, 04:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Locate wires in walls

Moving into a century home. Most wiring will need re-done. I'm looking for a good instrument to locate AC in walls. I have tried the combination AC/Stud finders ($40 range), but they do not seem reliable.

Any ideas?

Old 02-04-04, 04:37 AM
R
The most reliable indicator of wires in the walls is to actually find where the wires enter the walls. Usually this is above or below where the outlets and switches are located.

That being said, why is it necessary to find the wires themselves? If you are going to rewire you can run the wires in whatever manner is easiest (as long as ithe manner agrees with code.

Old 02-05-04, 04:29 AM
B
Reason for needing wire location

In the house I'm currenty in most wiring was done to code. When I went to hang a curtin rod, I nailed into the branch circuit which controls the garage. Fixing it will be a huge chore, involving running new branch to garage. Needed done anyway, completely overloaded circuit, but it did demonstrate the hazards of not obeying the 1 1/4" rule for protecting wiring.

We are going to be doing extensive modifications to our new home, and I am quite sure there are all sorts of surprises lurking in the walls.

Knowing where the wires are would help me plan future remodeling efforts, as well as simply understanding the present wiring situation.

I am also concerned about blown-in insulation. There are also runs of KT in basement. At first glance they appear to have all been terminated and replaced, but I haven't examined enough to be sure. I want to know which walls currently have active cables to help gauge risk of fire.

My question simply is: is there an accurate and durable instrument that will help me locate hot AC behind walls? My experience with low-end stud finders has been that they are unreliable and break easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: