GFCI and lights on single circuit?

Old 02-04-04, 09:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI and lights on single circuit?

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to bounce this off you all. I am wiring a new bathroom in my basement. What I would like to do is run one circuit to the bathroom. I'd like to have the GFCI receptacle, a vent fan, and a light bar on this circuit, which would be controlled by one switch ( I kind of like the idea of having the power cut off to this receptacle when the lights are off). Will the gfci trip every time I turn on the switch? Any other problems with this?

Thanks!
Joe

Old 02-04-04, 09:44 AM
R
To do this the circuit must be a 20 amp circuit, and you must not run the circuit to any other places in the house.

I personally would not wire as you suggest. I have had many situations where I wanted to use the plug in the bathroom but have the lights off. One such instance is when using a plug in night light.

Regarding the nuisance tripping when the switch comes on, I don't think this is likely to happen unless you have something plugged in (and turned on) on the circuit.

If you plan your wiring properly, you could try it for a while and change the wiring if you found it to be a problem.

Old 02-04-04, 09:48 AM
HVACELECT
Visiting Guest
I personaly don't see the point of wiring your house like this . But hey I would recmmend that you atleast do a load calc and see if one 20 amp circuit will be enough. also decide how the bathroom will be used if you have alot of woman using it to get dressed than there is no way that one 20 amp circuit will be enough .

goood luck

Old 02-04-04, 11:47 AM
J
It's a new bathroom in the basement where there will be an occasional overnight guest but little else. I know it sounds weird but the reason I like having the switched receptacle is that several people in my family tend to leave things like curling irons turned on unattended.

The only things that would be on that circuit are one gfci, one small vent fan, and a 4 light light bar.

Old 02-04-04, 09:23 PM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
Load calc would be important... Most hair dryers are in the 1500W range. Four lamps could be anywhere from 200-400W unless you're using CFLs. Dunno about the fan. Shower/bath light is getting increasingly common... you want one of these too?

Personally, I hate being in the dark when a breaker trips. So I prefer to keep plugs and lights on separate circuits. Either run the light/fan off an existing circuit that can handle the extra load and put the GFCI on its own; or run both new via a single cable i.e. 12/3

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: