Grounding detached buildings

Old 02-05-04, 04:47 PM
New Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Garrettsville, OH USA
Posts: 58
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding detached buildings

Been reading NEC in preparation for wiring improvements. Moving to a farm with various barns and outbuildings. I'm confused about how to ground the branch and/or feeder circuits to the other buildings.

I assume that if a run a feeder circuit to a subpanel in a barn, then that subpanel must have it's own grounded conductor (8' rod in earth). If I am running a branch circuit only (no subpanel) then I can run the equipment grounding conductor from main panel into the outbuildings, and do not need a grounding rod on outbuilding.

Is this correct
Old 02-05-04, 05:21 PM
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,006
Received 501 Upvotes on 411 Posts
If you run any other type of metal like a water line or phone lines between the buildings then you need to run a 4 wire feeder including a ground. You need a ground rod no matter which type of feeder you use.
Old 02-05-04, 08:23 PM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,262
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joed is correct. For a sub-panel a ground rod is needed either way. A GEC, grounding electrode conductor, is run to the ground rod.

A 3-wire feeder requires the grounds be bonded in the sub-panel.
A 4-wire feeder requires them to be isolated. All a 4-wire is is a 3-wire plus an EGC, equipment grounding conductor.

A grounded conductor is commonly referred to as the neutral.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: