Polarized plug

Old 02-06-04, 01:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Polarized plug

When replacing an old wall outlet should the polarized side of the new outlet go to the white or black wire?
Old 02-06-04, 02:49 PM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,262
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, you don't say what you mean by polarized.
If you mean the wide slot that is the white, but we don't go by the slots when wiring, we go by colors.

Black/red/blue (hot)=gold screw

Keep in mind a white can be a hot. You can run 2-wire, as in 12/2, to feed a straight 220v appliance. The white should then be re-marked black or red. Usually with a Sharpie marker. This is a recent code so you may often find a white as hot, but still white.
Old 02-06-04, 03:55 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,245
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The answer to your question is that the polarized side of a receptacle outlet is connected to the return or neutral conductor. This is a white wire.

Remember it this way. The code wants the larger side of the receptacle to be grounded. This will mean less of a chance of a shock if someone sticks something into the receptacle.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: