wiring

Old 02-07-04, 03:47 PM
tony r
Visiting Guest
Question wiring

how do i run power from my house to the office in my utility shed?

Old 02-07-04, 03:49 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depends. How much amperage do you need? How far is it? Is there dirt all the way or is there concrete? More details are needed...

Old 02-07-04, 03:57 PM
tony r
Visiting Guest
wiring

I need 50amps, and the distance from the breakerbox in the garage is about 50ft. from the the shed. There is already a breaker box in the shed.

Old 02-07-04, 03:58 PM
tony r
Visiting Guest
wiring

There is also nothing but grass between the garage and the shed.

Old 02-07-04, 04:24 PM
V
I'm sure that others who are more knowlegeable than I will chime in with more details, but some basics:

For 50A you will need a mimimum of a 6-3 wire, perhaps even 4-3.
Wire must be rated for direct burial.
It must be trenched in a minimum depth of 18"

You may or may not be able to reuse your existing 50A panel. If it is main-breaker it may need to be converted to main-lug. If the ground and neutral busses are bonded, you will have to disconnect that bond (usually a simple screw).

Anyplace the wire isn't underground or inside you will want to enclose it in conduit. Since this is an outdoor application, you'll probably want to use Sch 80 PVC.

You'll install a new 50A tandem breaker in your house panel to feed the new circuit off of.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Old 02-07-04, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
how do i run power from my house to the office in my utility shed?
This is a very vague question. Sort of like asking "How do I fix my car?"

Check this page to get some background: Detached buildings

Will you be doing the work or having an electrician do it to code?
As you'll see in that page there are many variables and codes to consider.

Old 02-07-04, 05:27 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know how you figured you need 50 amps. This provides 12KW of power. That must be some office!!

You say that there is a breaker box already there. Was it ever used previously? What happened to that connection? Depending on the age and type of that panel, it may be wise to replace it. A panel capable of 50 amps is inexpensive.

If you use direct-burial cable, you must bury it 24" (not 18" as previously advised). If you go in PVC conduit, you can use THWN (three insulated conductors plus a grounding wire) and bury the conduit 18" deep.

There are lots of other important details. One of the more important is to keep the neutral bar and grounding bar electrically isolated in the office (unlike in the house). And of course, you need grounding rods.

Keep in mind that we've only given you the highlights. Sort of like if you asked how to rebuild an engine and we told you to take out the pistons, replace the rings, and put the pistons back. The devil is in the details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: