GFCI outlet question

Old 02-08-04, 09:49 AM
SteveGK
Visiting Guest
GFCI outlet question

Had an electrician replace a GFCI outlet in the basement several weeks ago, and like a fool, did not check the work before he left. When I tried to plug in a power strip with my AV euip, the top slot would not accept the cord, and I have given it a pretty strong push. The bottom slot accepted the cord, but provides a pretty healthy spark...Is this defective? Doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks

Old 02-08-04, 10:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The higher quality receptacles often have quite a bit of resistance to the plug, especially when new. You may have a defective receptacle, or you may just need to use more force. Hard to tell from here.

Old 02-08-04, 01:08 PM
SteveGK
Visiting Guest
Thanks John. I gave the plug an extra push, and it finally went in and loosened it up. Additionally, on this outlet, I have a DVD, sat box and 32" TV going through a power strip. When I plug in the cord, there are sparks. After doing some experimenting, I've found that it is the TV that is the culprit for the sparks. When I plug TV directly, the sparks are still present, but not nearly as prominent, and with other appliances, etc., no sparks (even an 1100 watt iron). Is this something I should worry about? The TV is only about six months old, but it was plugged in when my original GFCI outlet fried due to a loose connection. I'm assuming the wire connections are tight and proper since an electrician installed it two weeks ago. Any advice would be great.

Old 02-09-04, 07:41 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Probably okay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: