house wiring, outlets

Old 02-09-04, 11:19 AM
dano798
Visiting Guest
Question house wiring, outlets

I've lost electrical power in part of my basement. Apparently, all of the outlets in my basement are on one circuit, when I shut off the circuit breaker they all go out, but when turned back on, only one is still working. The first outlet in the series had a slightly singed wire and it has two other hot and neutral wires attached to it. I have replaced all of the outlets, except the one that was still working and the others still do not work. I plugged an analyzer in and it read that there is an open neutral. Can anyone suggest what I can do next? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-04, 11:29 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Check the one that is still working. The open connection is probably in there.

Old 02-09-04, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You answered your own question. You should replace the receptacle that is testing bad unless it is relatively new. If a receptacle is older I replace it regardless since the cost is negligible and I have the old one out anyway.

You probably have a bad backstab connection, where the wire is just poked into the hole in the back. VERY common problem.
Do not re-install any new receptacles this way, you will only be asking for the same problems later.
A bad connection would be in the last working receptalce or the first dead one in a circuit. It is possible for the receptacle box to have power and not be feeding the receptacle.

Old 02-15-04, 04:33 PM
dano798
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the help, problem solved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: