portable generator

Old 02-09-04, 08:57 PM
bpress
Visiting Guest
portable generator

hello,
does anyone have plans or information on how i can build my own portable electric generator? i need about 5500 watts. thanks in advance!
ben

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-04, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are starting from scratch and are just trying to come up with a power source you can't save much money by building it.

Perhaps you already have a generator and/or an engine. A horizontal shaft engine works the best. I've built a generator with a vertical shaft engine before and it's a pain. It would be best to have a welder so you can construct a base. Just couple the engine shaft to the generator with some kind of flexable coupler, turn the governor up to 3600 rpm (assuming a two pole generator) and you're ready to rumble.

Old 02-09-04, 09:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do a Yahoo! or Google for "homemade generator" and you'll get lots of hits.
Any of the ones I saw were not much more than 1000 watts.

For $600-$700 the Troy Builts at the mega home centers can't be beat.

Old 02-10-04, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Generac is good also. Nice wheeled 5500 watt ones at Orange Box.
Andy

Old 02-10-04, 07:36 PM
Be careful with the 5500W at the depot. It does not have a automatic voltage regulator. If a large load is place on the gen, the voltage will bounce a bit more than an equivalent one with an AVR.

Old 02-10-04, 09:03 PM
bpress
Visiting Guest
orange box?

andy,
what's orange box? is that a retail store?
thanks

Old 02-11-04, 06:50 AM
I think the term "orange box" refers to the Home Depot.
It has an orange logo and is called a big box store.

Old 02-11-04, 08:10 AM
bpress
Visiting Guest
orange box

Doh!

Old 02-11-04, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yep, that's the Orange Box.
As with most generators, it's always wise to start the biggest loads first to allow the genny to settle down before starting smaller more sensative loads.
I do like gennys with AVR, but they are expensive, and unless you are running electronics, regular generators seem to do fine.
BTW- I built a "homebrew" generator once with a 8HP horizontal engine and a belt driven generator. It ended costing almost as much as a storebought one, and it didn't work as well.

Old 09-16-09, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by bpress View Post
hello,
does anyone have plans or information on how i can build my own portable electric generator? i need about 5500 watts. thanks in advance!
ben
ARISE DEAD THREAD! (actually this subject is always relevant)

I built an inverter-based generator a couple of years ago. Puts out only 1800W, but the concept can be scaled up to 5kW or 10kW. I used a 6HP B/S key-start lawnmower engine belt-driving a Delco CS-144 (140A) alternator, which charges two 50Ah batteries and powers a Xantrex Prosine 1800 inverter. Beauty here is- AC output still available when engine shuts down to re-fuel. 12V terminals allow connection additional batteries if longer silent-power is needed. Also allows for jump-starting cars w/dead batteries. AC output sinusiodal & VERY clean. Email me for pics.

Steve

Old 09-16-09, 02:03 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Well, unless you have quite a supply of cast-off equipment available to you this is going to be an expensive project. The inverter alone is about $1,500. Add another $300. for deep cycle batteries, a few hundred for the engine, a couple of hundred for the alternator and a couple of hundred for other supplies and you easily have more than two grand invested before you even assemble the rig.

Although I have no doubt it works, and probably works well, it sure isn't a low-cost system and there would be no no overall warranty.

Old 09-16-09, 09:12 PM
Commercial generators are a bargain. Unless you already have nearly all the parts you need to build one, it will cost more in parts to build than to buy a Commercial Off-The-Shelf product - even even if you pay retail. Also, you can be reasonably sure that COTS product will work or can be exchanged for one that does.

-- aside --

A couple of years ago and five days after an ice storm which left a lot of Tulsa, including us, without power, I went to "The Orange Box" (Home Depot) looking for more candles for light. They didn't have candles, but did have 6kW generators on sale for $400! They could have sold all these generators they could get for almost any price, but were selling them at a $100 loss each "as a service to the community" according to their service rep. I bought one and was able to run some lights and - best of all - heat (gas with electric forced air - don't work without electricity even if the gas is fine) for the duration. It was mid-December, so the heat and light was welcome.

I appreciate HD for this. The same generator listed at nearly $600 later, so I believe the rep's statement was true. Even at full retail, it's a marvelous piece of machinery.

Old 09-17-09, 02:18 PM
I am contemplating making a diy generator, but it's economical for me because I already have:

Battery (Numax 105ah deep cycle)
Engine BS 3.5hp (a touch underpowered, but have a small load
600w inverter for lighting, laptop, fish tank, tv (not all at once)

Only need:
Alternator
Pulley
Belt
Cabling

Unless you have somthing like this it is not worth it.

Old 09-22-09, 02:23 PM
Inverter = $500.00
Engine = $110.00
Alternator = $26.00
Generator frame = $50.00

All new from eBay.

Batteries = Free (Had them lying around)
All remaining hardware ~= $200.00
Total: Just under $900.00

While this setup is more than a gen-set from Homey or Lowe's, it puts out Sinewave AC power cleaner than the utility, and with big enough batteries, gives silent power for quite a while. Want more power? Scale it up. Want less power? Scale it down.

07bloomfieldb:

A Delco 10SI (by far, the most common alternator, ever) rated at 63A should fit nicely with the 3.5 Briggs and 600W inverter. If your battery is a deep-cycle type, just be careful to watch the charge rate from the alternator. You might need to augment the voltage regulator with a current regulator to prevent too high a charge rate.

-Steve