Too hot receptacle?

Old 02-12-04, 10:59 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too hot receptacle?

Our vacuum cleaner is rated at 3.7 peak HP. Most of our wiring is 15A. When I unplug the vacuum I notice that the cord is real hot, too hot really to hold the prongs for example. It's an old canistor vacuum that still works like a champ and hasn't burned down the house yet. Will it? And is there anything I should/can do to help correct the problem?

Old 02-12-04, 03:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
I am not sure but since noone else has answered I will throw in my 2 cents worth.
It sounds like something inside the vacuum is drawing to much power, possible a short or a moter burning out. I would post in the small appliance repair fourm as they might have a better idea what to look for, if the vacuum cable is to hot it doesn't sound like the house wiring has the problem.
I wouldn't use it again until you find the problem or have it checked out as it might cause a fire

Old 02-12-04, 04:34 PM
imjerry
Visiting Guest
Hmmmm

Sounds like loose connection between Receptacle and Attachment plug to me!!! And ifd it has been happening awhile the clamping springs in the Receptacle might have lost there temper and are not gripping well, OK Replace receptacle (USE Premium Grade) (Not 39 Cent ones) and open the blades on the attachment by slipping a knife blade in the prongs and spreading if there is a slot !!!

Should work Jerry

Old 02-12-04, 06:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
My guess is the service cord to the vac is flat wearing out. I'd either replace the whole cord or at least cut off the last few inches and add a new plug.

Old 03-18-04, 03:38 PM
G
FYI: Thanks you guys for the ideas. I tried the easiest first, i.e., performed some remedial plug-prong tweaking. After use the plug is only warm. So far, so good.

Gary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: