switches

Old 02-12-04, 07:53 PM
2ndgenten
Visiting Guest
Question switches

I have a light switch at the top and bottom of my stairs that turns off the stair light." At the bottom of the steps I also have a switch that controls my basement light. I am running downstairs to shut them off. Is there is a way to wire so I have control from the top to control the stair light and the basement lights but keep the same control I have now at the bottom? I've tried the re-wiring but I only seem to be able to either have it the way it is or have them all on one switch....all on or off. Thanks!

Old 02-12-04, 07:58 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remote control switch. About $30. Easy to install. No new wiring. Available at most home centers.

Old 02-12-04, 08:00 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please be more specific about what you want. Your post leaves the details out.

Do you want to be able to control either light from either location? (Probably not possible without running new wire.)

Do you want the basement light to be able to be turned on only when the stairs light is on? (Should be possible without new wiring.)

Old 02-12-04, 08:21 PM
2ndgenten
Visiting Guest
Light switches

Thanks for the responses. I thought I was limited on words. Duh!

I have a light switch at the top and bottom of my stairs that turns off the stair light. At the bottom of the steps, in addition to my second stair light switch, I also have a switch that controls only my basement lights. With two small children, I am running downstairs all the time to shut them off. They are on separate circuits.

Is there is a way to wire these so I have control from the top stair switch to control the stair light and the basement lights (on/off-together), but keep the same switch control I have now at the bottom of the stairs, so I can control them individually--turn off the stair light, keep the basement lights on or visa versa? I've tried the re-arranging the wiring--even adding a third switch, but I only seem to be able to either have it the way it is, or have them all on the stair light switch at the bottom and have them all on or off together.

I will check out the remote switch--sounds great. Thanks.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-21-04, 06:26 AM
2ndgenten
Visiting Guest
RE; Light switch

Wanted you to know I replaced my switch with the remote control switch and I love it! Thanks for the suggestion and for making my life that much easier!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: