Help with wiring a ceiling fan

Old 02-15-04, 07:40 AM
KevinD
Visiting Guest
Help with wiring a ceiling fan

Hello, I am trying to wiring a ceiling fan and I am having a few problems.

1. I ran the wiring from the fan to a light switch which controls an outlet. There is one cable going from the light switch to the outlet.

2. The outlet is wired with the black from the light switch connected to the outlet, while the white from the switch is connected to two other black wires, that I assume is going to another oulet.

3. The outlet basically has two black wires connected on one side of the outlet, and one white wire connected on the other side. With two black wires and one white connected together with a plastic wire cap.

4. So, when I try to connect the ceiling fan wires to the light switch, white to white, and black to black, it does not work.

5. I would like to use the light switch to control the fans power, so it can be turned on and off from the switch.

I am not very good at house wiring, and any help in walking me through this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-15-04, 08:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what you have is called a switch loop at the switch. This means the feed is coming up on the white and going back down on the black. There is no neutral present at your switch box.

You cannot use the setup the way it is. The only way to make it work is to sacrifice the switched receptacles. To do this you just connect all the wires in the receptacle color for color. White to white, black to black, ground to ground. This will make the receptacles hot all the time and bring a feed up to the switch box and all will work as intended.

If you need the receptacles to still be switched you have to run more wiring and I would leave that to a proessional.

First thing I would do is to get a good book on home wiring. This would have explained your situation well before hand.

Old 02-15-04, 08:58 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with Speedy. This is a very simple fix if you are willing to convert the receptacle from switched to unswitched. When adding a ceiling fan with a light kit, most people don't want the receptacle to be switched any more anyway.

Old 02-15-04, 09:06 AM
KevinD
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. I will give it a try. Just one question, when you say white to white, black to black...should I just disconnect the white wire from the two blacks (thats not connected to the outlet) and then put the white wire on the outlet itself, so now I would have two blacks on one side of the outlet, two whites on the other side of the outlet, and the two blacks connected together away from the outlet with the wire nut? I apologize for my lack of understanding, and I really appreciate your help....thanks again

Old 02-15-04, 09:40 AM
J
Yes. Connect all the white wires in the box with a wire nut to a white pigtail. Connect that pigtail to a silver screw. Connect all the black wires in the box with a wire nut to a black pigtail. Connect that pigtail to a brass screw.

One thing to watch out for is if the receptacle was previoulsy only half-switched. Look at the tabs that connect the two brass screws on one side and the two silver screws on the other side. If it is missing, I suggest you buy a new receptacle (or use two pigtails on that side).

From your original description, it sounds like you have four black wires and two white wires in the receptacle box. That's a bit confusing. Is that correct?

Old 02-15-04, 09:49 AM
KevinD
Visiting Guest
I just looked at the outlet again, and the way it looks to be wired is black from the switch goes to the top of the outlet, silver side. The bottom of the silver side has a short black wire connecting to the white wire from the switch and one more black wire (I assume this goes to another outlet). The brass side of the outlet has one white wire connected to it, looks like it goes to another outlet. And the ground on the bottom. Sorry if my first post was confusing. Does this info help.....

Old 02-15-04, 09:58 AM
J
Just connect all wires by color as previously described. Make a good diagram of how it is wired now before disconnecting anything, just in case something goes wrong.

Two notes:
(1) It sounds like your receptacle may have been wired with reverse polarity. The instructions we provided before will fix that.
(2) It sounds like that the receptacle was indeed half-switched, so you should expect one of the tabs to be broken out. I suggest a new receptacle, one with the tabs still intact.

Last edited by John Nelson; 02-15-04 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-15-04, 01:00 PM
KevinD
Visiting Guest
Thanks everybody for the help. I now have the switch contolling the fan and outlet is live all the time. thanks again...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: