wall switch

Old 02-15-04, 01:41 PM
baspilker
Visiting Guest
Unhappy wall switch

None of my lower outlets that are controlled by a single wall switch in a bedroom work. I replaced the switch with the exact same type, two plug in type holes one black and one red. A third wire black went to a terminal screw right next to the other black.
Rewired eveything the same, outlets still don't work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-04, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any history here? Did you go to bed one night with everything working properly and wake up the next morning with nothing working? There are a lot of possibilities here, and I'd like to narrow it down to the likely ones.

Old 02-15-04, 02:00 PM
baspilker
Visiting Guest
wall switch

John,
We just walked in turned on switch and nothing worked. Did all regular things first, like checking light bulbs, fuse ..etc. Plugged lamps into outlets above, the ones not controlled by the switch and they work fine.

Old 02-15-04, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You apparently have an open somewhere. If you have grounded outlets, I suggest you spend eight bucks on an outlet tester at Home Depot (the kind that plugs in and has two amber lights and a red light). That will tell you whether you have an open hot (i.e., no lights at all come on on the tester), or an open neutral (sometimes reported as hot/ground reverse). Post back and let us know what it says. They we can tell you what to look for.

Old 02-15-04, 06:29 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
I suspect you have a bad connection on the red wire in the receptacle closest to the switch. Move all the wires to the screws. Backstabs are notorious for bad connection. At the switch you will need to nut the 2 black together with a pigtail wire to the switch. Only one wire per screw is allowed.
If you replace any of the receptacle be sure to check the tab on the gold side. It is removed on all the 1/2 switched receptacles.

Old 02-19-04, 12:04 PM
baspilker
Visiting Guest
Smile wall switch

When I went to get an outlet tester and some new outlets, I picked up another new wall switch. Everything worked fine. Apparently the first replacement switch was faulty. Thanks for the advise.