new outlet

Old 02-16-04, 12:47 AM
pdxskin33
Visiting Guest
Angry new outlet

ok so my mom just got a new stacked washer and dryer now this one has only one plug it is a three prong plug like you usualy see on a dryer, what i am wondering is 1. is it possible to convert the current old plug socket she has into one of these 2. how
lol i know and understand basic electrical i have done some rewiring of my own home tho i have never had to put a 120/220 plug socket in before, if it is not possible to convert it would it be possible to run new wire thru the old conduit after of course putting in a new breaker to cover the washer and dryer .

thanks for all the help

james

Old 02-16-04, 07:56 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is probably not possible to convert, but we can't tell for sure because you didn't describe the existing receptacle you want to convert. If you have an existing 120-volt receptacle, then of course it is not possible. If you have an existing 240-volt dryer receptacle, then it would not be safe to convert because you likely don't have a separate neutral and grounding wire.

Describe the existing receptacle and tell us what was previously plugged in there.

Old 02-16-04, 01:35 PM
pdxskin33
Visiting Guest
new outlet

sorry for not being clear what i have currently is a reg. outlet my mom had a washer plugged in but now has a stacked washer and dryer so i think from what i read in your post i will need to run new wire in and build a compleate new circuite for it right now it is a 120 outlet the kind you can plug any thing into but a dryer lol

Old 02-16-04, 01:36 PM
pdxskin33
Visiting Guest
new outlet

oh and is there a difference in the wire gauge for the higher power outlet (just to make sure i get the right wire)

Old 02-16-04, 02:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your existing receptacle is of no use for your new appliance. You need a new circuit.

Yes, there are big differences in wire gauge. You must use the wire gauge and the breaker size that matches the requirements of your appliance. The installation instructions for your new appliance should provide its electrical requirements. Post back if you need help interpreting them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: