old wiring in house I want

Old 02-16-04, 11:34 AM
rhondababy3
Visiting Guest

I found a house I really like but when we went down to the basement we saw old wiring and it is being used because it was hooked up to the light bulb. now will it cost us alot of money to ifx . there is a 200 amp box upstairs. this is the only thing that is holding us back on buying it. the house was built in 1900 and I would think ther is new wiring because a dryer hooked up andall the outlets are grounded.please let me know what to do.and if I get someone in ther to look at it will it cost me. I mean I dont want to pay for something that I will not buy if it going to cost me alott of money. Thanks

Old 02-16-04, 11:41 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Please have this evaluated by an electrician. A home inspector will not have the skills to do such a detailed analysis. Depending on exactly how much updating has been done in the past, and on how large the house is, and on how easy the access is, you could be looking at improvements costing anywhere from a hundred dollars to ten thousand dollars. It is important for you to know where you are in this range before you make an offer.

When you say all the outlets are grounded, how do you know?

Old 02-16-04, 11:46 AM
rhondababy3
Visiting Guest

thanks for writing back. the way I know it is grounded is it has 3 prong outlet. and wouldnt you think being it has 200 amp it would mean it has new wiring in it.and a plug for a ele dryer?

Old 02-16-04, 11:56 AM
J
Three-prong receptacles are no guarantee that they are grounded (it should be, but it isn't). Too many people just replace a two-prong receptacle with a three-prong receptacle without doing anything else. Even a simple test with an outlet tester (what a home inspector would do) isn't conclusive, because people are fond of creating dangerous bootleg grounds by interconnecting neutral and ground.

Many people who upgrade to a 200-amp panel do nothing at all with the inside wiring. Or perhaps just add one circuit or two. The difference is between a $2000 job and an $8000 job. Many can afford the former but not the latter. Don't assume anything!

When preparing a house for sale, people do inexpensive things that create the appearance that everything is in good shape. You have to look deeper.

Last edited by John Nelson; 02-16-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-16-04, 12:27 PM
rhondababy3
Visiting Guest
Wink thanks

I just called someone to take a look at it .I have my heart set on this house an old lady lives there and very clean it is a turn of the century brick home2156 sq feet and the room are big.so thanks for your help.I will let you know how it worked out.

Old 02-17-04, 05:57 PM
rhondababy3
Visiting Guest
turned out good

had the electrical guy come to the house. it turns out that some of the wiring needs to be swiched over in the celler. as far as upstairs everything is good .so thanks for your help.

Old 02-17-04, 06:22 PM
J
Thanks for the report Rhonda. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape. I hope you get the house you want.

Old 02-18-04, 06:33 AM
rhondababy3
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thank you now all I have to do is sell mine . hey if you know anyone that would like to buy a log home in the adrondacks in upstate New York near Lake George with anyone can see it on all-americanproperties.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: