Outlet Bad?

Old 02-16-04, 02:27 PM
Hexxer
Visiting Guest
Outlet Bad?

Please help, I am a very qiuck learner. I have a row of outlets along the back side of me house out. I have checked the first outlet, All six wires are connect, Ground-Ground, White Neutral(s),
Black commons same.

Both of the sides are hot when i test them againgst, But when I move.

How do I figure out which one is the bad one.

Thanks again

Old 02-16-04, 06:39 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Problem could be in the last outlet that is still working. or the first one that is dead. If you are using the backstab connections move all the wires to the screws. Make sure non of the tabs are broken off.

Old 02-16-04, 07:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Both of the sides are hot when i test them againgst, But when I move.
I can't make any sense out of that.

Spend $8 at Home Depot on an outlet tester, the plug-in kind with two amber lights and a red light.

Old 02-16-04, 09:40 PM
Hexxer
Visiting Guest
Thx All

Thanx for the replies...

I actually read many of the prior articles in the forum and I figured out to test the closest outlet to my panel that was not working correctly. The receptacle outlet had been connected using the backstab method, the wire was pushed in the small holes on the back side, and the black wire (common) on the top was extremely loose.

The copper end was burnt black. The backstab hole no longer gripped the wire, it was loose. The inside of the outlet had burnt inside and the outlet was running a short to the ground wire.

After, I read the other postings, then I was determined to find the short. The idea of having an electrical housefire is just un-nerving. Anyone reading this reply, please heed to other electricians advice to use the screw posts, always...

Again, Thank You, to all the people who replied...

Old 02-16-04, 10:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Congratulations on solving your problem. It is amazing how often those backstabs are the culprits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: