Blowing Circuit Breaker

Old 02-16-04, 03:50 PM
THE_BBC2
Visiting Guest
Blowing Circuit Breaker

I've recently installed a new porch light outside. The problem is everytime I turn the switch, the circuit breaker turns itself off. Now let me tell you how I did it and please review and give all advice you can because I'm confused.

I stalled the new light by pig-tailing off an existing receptacle. I pigtail black to black, white to white ground to ground (@ receptacle); than, I pigtail the same @ the switch than connect from the switch to the light fixture. All this using existing 20 amp circuit & 12 gage wire. note: the existing circuit has 8 existing receptacles attached.

No matter what I've tried, I keep blowing the circuit. If I take the switch off the new lights, all the receptacles works just fine. I've checked for loose wire connections and there were none. I don't think I am over-loading the circuit since the township resident electrical inspector said " you allowed up to 12 receptacles (using 20 amp)"

Can anyone shed some light to this dilemma? Do I need to rerun a new circuit just for this "1" outside lighting lamp?.

Old 02-16-04, 04:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you have the switch wired across the line instead of in series with the load.

Try this:

Old 02-16-04, 05:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
At the switch you do only switch the hot (black) wire. You run the white wire straight through unswitched.

Jughead's picture is correct, but unless you hyave a fabcy switch you only need one wire nut at the switch, to conect the two white wires. The black wires should connect directly to the screw terminals on the switch.

Old 02-17-04, 08:58 AM
THE_BBC2
Visiting Guest
blowing circuit

OK. thanks. i will try and report back. Hopefully this will work

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: