Ceiling fans

Old 02-17-04, 01:59 PM
sixty5thru
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fans

I want to remove 2 existing hanging central lights and install combo ceiling fan and light units. I understand the mounting/electric box should be more heavy duty for the extra weight/stress of the fans. Is there any way to tell if the current installed boxes are ok for the fan installations.

Thanks in advance,

Ric Casali

Old 02-17-04, 02:04 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Almost certainly not. But installing fan-rated boxes is pretty easy and inexpensive.

Take down the existing fixture. If the box is plastic, then it's definitely not sufficient. If the box is metal, then it is probably enough for an average-size fan. Nevertheless, a fan-rated box is still recommended, since the threads are stronger. Also, if the metal box is merely nailed into the side of a joist, you probably want stronger attachment. A simple $20 fan brace (which includes the box) installs in minutes from below. If you can get above, some people prefer a 2x4 brace between the joists.

Old 02-17-04, 02:05 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unless the house is pretty new, they most likely aren't. Even if it's new, they might not be.

The easiest way is to tak eht light off and look. If it says it is rated for a fixture weight of some number of pounds, and your fan fits that weight, you're fine.

If it's a "saddle" type where the box actually has a 2x member of the framing running through it (identifiable because it will be very shallow in the center and very deep on the sides), then you're good.

Otherwise, you'll have to assume it isn't. If this is in a location with an attic above, it will probably not be too difficult to retrofit a proper box.

Old 02-17-04, 02:21 PM
sixty5thru
Visiting Guest
Ceiling fans

Thanks for the quick replies, and I will post back and let you know how it turns out.

Ric Casali

Old 02-26-04, 10:34 AM
sixty5thru
Visiting Guest
Just an update; decided to only install one fan, removed existing hanging light fixture, and found the support/electric box to be stamped with: suitable for fan support, and it was screwed directly into a 2"x 6" above. For my own peace of mind I weighed the old light, and the new fan/light assembly only added 3 more pounds. The fan/light installation went relatively easy, and probably would have gone much faster, had I not read the instructions. Worst installation manual I have ever seen (Hampton Bay). I even added a remote control and receiver which allows light dimmer control and 3 fan speeds.

Thanks again for all your help - this site is great,

Ric Casali

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: