stairwell/hallway lighting & switches

Old 02-19-04, 09:17 AM
jmcc
Visiting Guest
Question stairwell/hallway lighting & switches

I have two hallway lights upstairs that can be switched on/off using either a downstairs switch or an upstairs switch. In addition, there is a wall plate at the top of the stairs with wiring inside. How do I find out if this could also be used to switch the lights on and off? And if this is possibile, how do *I* do it?
I'm an amateur, obviously, but I have replaced a regular switch with a dimmer switch a couple of times, and replaced a switch for my garbage disposal. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-26-04, 02:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: jmcc

In order to provide you with the best possible service, I moved your question out of the lighting topic, which has no moderator and into this electrical topic. Kindly excuse the delay in doing so.

Since the question is likely to be an electrical problem, I'm sure the electrical professionals in this forum topic can provide you with the help needed.

Old 02-26-04, 02:25 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What do you mean "there is a wall plate at the top of the stairs"? Id this a separate from the two switches?

What wires are located behind this wall plate?

Old 02-27-04, 07:40 AM
jmcc
Visiting Guest
Yes, it is entirely separate from the other switches. There is a white and a black wire behind the plate, with a portion of bare wire for each and a plastic cap over the twisted wires for each.

Old 02-27-04, 07:49 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is not possible to use this to switch the lights on and off.

To add a switch here that would be part of the existing setup would require additional wires here.

You could run a new wire to this location or you could add a new switch whereever you wanted it.

Old 02-27-04, 07:51 AM
IMB4U
Visiting Guest
what you have is a 3-way lighting system where either switch controls your hallway lighting. Why would you want to access the other (2 wires behing the plate)
It may have been for the hallway lighting as the old style single switch sytem, or it may have been for something such as a furnace power shut off. (In caes of fire the law requires a switch accessable to fireman without having to enter a basement.

Old 02-27-04, 08:01 AM
jmcc
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. It would have been nice, certainly not necessary, to have a switch at the top of the stairs. Now that I know it would require additional wiring, I can live with it as it is! Again, thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: