Replacing circuit panel near well...

Old 02-21-04, 03:08 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing circuit panel near well...

I have a well that is about a 1oo ft from my vacation house with only one breaker in the box....Recently the post rotted at the base and when I visited the post was lying on the ground with the box still attached.I can replace the post but looking at the box it seems that I could just unscrew the box and place it on the new post but I fear that this is an oversimplyfication....Is it as easy as it looks if a person uses extreme care with rubber handled tools ???????????Other than this is my only option to call an electrician and pay him big bucks to do this simple task...?

Don't want to sound like a know it all and I realize this could be a dangerous task...Just need other opinions...

Old 02-21-04, 03:23 PM
A
Master Electrician
As long as everything electrical is not damaged, The current box and the wiring is still all safe, replacing the pole should be rather easy. But I see no need to do the job with the power on. Located in the vacation home there should be an individual breaker that shuts off the power supplying the pump. And if not then locating the main breaker that supply's all the power and turning it off should make the repair safe and easy.

Arthur

Old 02-21-04, 04:40 PM
B
Utility pole nearby

Aphares ....There is a utility pole adjacent to the well with the wires running directly down to the box with the circuit breaker...I don't think there is anyway to cut the power at the house. Looks to me like the pole with a transformer at the well is the power source...The home power is run from this utility pole to the house....to the power company meter on the side of the house. I suspect to cut the power I will have to call the power company and get them to come out with a long pole to reach the transformer and turn it off....Wish I could turn it off at house....would make it so very easy to reapir.If I am wrong please tell me...

Old 02-21-04, 09:44 PM
A
Master Electrician
I can't imagine the well would not be metered, but I could be wrong. Check very closely and inspect the overhead wires (only from the ground) and see if there is two weather masks (Pipes with wires sticking through the roof.) on the house. With more wires then would be required for supply to the house that would also be on the same pole, but one set would only run the well from the house panel box. If so you might have five to six wires hanging in the air. (Instead of only three. ) If not then it should have been metered, and the only way to shut it off is from the utility co. doing so, And if so. Buy all means let them shut it off. Then you might look into re-wiring it from the breaker box in the house. so if you have the same problem in the future you have some way of shutting the power off.

Try to draw us a mental picture of the wires hanging in the air, and we can let you know more of what you have, and the safest way about fixing it.
Arthur

Old 02-22-04, 05:18 AM
B
Reply and clarification

Aphares....

Sorry to not be as clear about this than I should be....let me start over...

The well is about 100 ft from the house...about twenty ft from the well is a utility pole with a tranformer on it that supplies power to the house and well...There are two wires that run from the utility pole to the house that connects to the circuit box and meter at the house.Another wire from the utility pole leads to a pole about ten foot from the well which has a circuit breaker and a meter specifically for the well...This is the post that has fallen...The one with the meter and breaker box. The wires all seem okay since the post fell toward the utility pole without pulling the wires...

Hope this clears the question....Thanks for your assistance...

Old 02-22-04, 07:01 AM
A
Master Electrician
Yes, This clears everything up quit well.
Since the meter, wires, and all need to be re-attached to the new pole then you will need to call the Utility Co. and shut of the power. If you would try this repair without calling, it could be very dangerous (even deadly). But with power off and a few hours, A good treated post, your own time, the repair should be rather easy.

Just be sure to involve the Utility Co. You will be surprised on how much help they don't mind giving. Or even letting you know if something needs to be upgraded to make things simplified.

Hope this helps

Arthur

Old 02-22-04, 09:12 AM
J
Received 442 Votes on 367 Posts
I would set the post and then call the POCO. You could probably do the disconnect and reconnect in one service call. It won't take that long to screw the meter and box to the new post if the post is already set. Paying the crew by the hour might be cheaper than 2 separate calls.

Old 02-22-04, 12:15 PM
B
Thanks guys...

I think you guys for the suggestions...I had an idea that I should call the power co to cut the power an dnow I am sure thats best....also I will get a new post and set it in the ground prior to calling the Power co....I will check out all the screws an connections to make sure I have all the needed tools to do the job also before the Power co comes...That way it shoul donly take a few minutes to complete....

Thanks again guys....As always I can get help here...great site....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: