Breaker Panel: Neutral vs. Grounding Bus Bar

Old 02-22-04, 09:18 AM
Breaker Panel: Neutral vs. Grounding Bus Bar

Hi,

I was going to add a new circuit to my control panel, when I took off the cover, I saw something that confused me. My understanding was that all grounding wires (bare) went to the same grounding bus bar and all neutral wires (white) went to the same neutral bus bar.

However when I look in the box, it seems as though some grounding wires go to one bus bar, while the others go to the other. Same as with the neutral. It's as though either wire is used on either bus bar, not all neutrals are on one and not all grounding are one one. Am I missing something here or can they be used interchangeably?

Thanks!
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 12:43 PM
What you are describing is normal for the main circuit breaker panel in a residence. Subpanels in residences need to have separate buss bars for the gorund and neutral wires, but in the main panel they connect to the same place. If you look closely, you will see that the neutral wire coming from the meter connectes to these bars, as does the grounding electrode in the house.

Old 02-22-04, 02:40 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel a better!

Bob

Old 04-03-04, 11:06 AM
Follow up Q

Now a couple of months later I'm doing some more wiring. Per racraft's post, I didn't sweat which side the ground & neutral went to.

Now I have another question - can the neutral & ground co-existing on the same bus bar or should they be split? I have a short cable, putting them on the same bar would be ideal (they would however be in different holes). Is this OK?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-03-04, 11:23 AM
Same bus bar, different holes, is okay.

Old 04-03-04, 11:49 AM
Thanks John!