wiring oven fan

Old 02-22-04, 02:20 PM
lallard
Visiting Guest
Question wiring oven fan

the new overhead light/fan for oven has black and white lead wires. coming out of wall is a blk,wht, and copper ground. where do I connect the ground. there is no place on light/fan to screw in ground. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New appliances should have a place to connect the grounding wire. Reread the installation instructions. If there is no grounding wire on the appliance, there is probably a green grounding screw.

Old 02-22-04, 02:38 PM
lallard
Visiting Guest
oven fan

there is no green grounding screw anyware. I took off the cover for the wiring and there is just 2 wires. This is just a cheap($60) over head fan/60 watt light that fits over stove and between cupboards. it is not vented out of the house.

Old 02-22-04, 03:05 PM
Did it come with installation instructions?

Tell us the make and model number.

Old 02-22-04, 04:08 PM
lallard
Visiting Guest
oven fan

no install instructions. It is a GE model # JN327H1CC. I thought I would just drill a hole in back panel and secure ground wire with sheet metal screw. Will that work. Thanks much for the super fast reply.

Old 02-22-04, 04:53 PM
I take it you acquired this unit other than from a standard retail outlet. If you did acquire it from a retail outlet, return to that outlet and insist on installation instructions.

I was unable to find that model number on GE's web site. However, GE has installation instructions for all of their hoods on their site. I picked one at random and looked at it. It says, "Connect house black to hood black wire, house white to hood white wire, and house ground to hood green/yellow wire. Securely tighten the strain relief clamp onto the house wiring." Are you sure there isn't another wire hidden somewhere? Or maybe somebody cut it off?

Old 02-22-04, 05:11 PM
lallard
Visiting Guest
Thanks much for your help. I went online and read the manual. It said there is a green screw for ground wire. I took cover off and found the hole, but the screw must have fallen out sometime during shipping ect. I replaced with sheet metal screw and it is up and installed and working perfectly. Thanks again for answering me so fast. It is obvious that you, Sir, are a pro.