wiring 3 wires for ceiling fan

Old 02-22-04, 02:54 PM
bstack15
Visiting Guest
wiring 3 wires for ceiling fan

I'm putting in a ceiling fan and neglected to mark the existing set-up. I have three sets of wires comining into the junction box, 2 of them are 2 wires and the other wire is a 3-wire. How do I set this up to get 1 white and 1 black for the fan. I know which one is the hot wire but thats not helping me much....HELP

Last edited by bstack15; 02-22-04 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 04:14 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Here's my guess, based on the assumption that there are two switches on the wall, one for the light and one for the fan.
  • One of the black/white cables is supplying power.
  • One of the black/white cables is taking power downstream.
  • The black/red/white cable is going to a switch box.
First, verify that my assumption was correct. If not, tell me now.

Next, look at the wiring at the switch box. I hope you'll see a black wire connected to one switch and a red wire connected to the other. There may be other wires in the box too. Let me know what you see.

Then find out which is the power cable. This is easy to do with a voltmeter.

When you take down a fixture without recording the prior connections, you make your job ten times harder. Nevertheless, it is still possible to figure it out. It just takes more time. Give me feedback on what I asked so far, and we'll go from there.

Old 02-23-04, 04:26 PM
bstack15
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Wiring 3 wires for ceiling fan REPLY

John,

Thanks for the response!!
Here is what I found....

3 Ceiling wires: 1.b/w supplying power 2. b/w taking power downstream 3. b/w/r to switch...nice job!

1 Wall Switch: (there is only 1 regular wall light switch..they did not use a fan/light combo switch) b/w/r coming in from ceiling.. looks like there is also another b/w wire taking power from the b/w/r downstream.

Wall switch set-up: White wire from b/w/r to switch, Red from b/w/r tied off to white of b/w, both the black wires are tied together with a piggy to switch.

So I need to figure out how to set up the ceiling wires to wire a b/w to the ceiling fan.....I am going to set up a remote box which will only take a b/w wire (this is used if there is no 3 wire)...

Can I use the 3 wire and purchase a regular fan/light wall switch? or use the remote I have?

Many thatnks for your help!!

Old 02-23-04, 05:01 PM
J
Received 442 Votes on 367 Posts
The switch is mis-wired. Change the red and white wire connection around. Connect the 2 white wires together and put the red on the switch with the pigtail from the blacks.
At the light
Connect all the blacks except the one from the fixture.
Connect all the whites including the one from the light.
Connect the red to the black from the switch.(edit: should be light fixture not switch)

Last edited by joed; 02-23-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 06:14 PM
bstack15
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe,

But I never touched the switch and it worked before. One of the problems is that it is the old BX and the colors seem to be faded even after I striped some of the sheathing away. It s tough to tell red from white on the 3 wire.

Here is what I just did:1-kept the switch the way it was (it was working before to control the previous light fixture.
(In the ceiling)
2a. I tied together all the blacks with a pig tail.

2b. I did one of two things here..I tied the whites from the 2-2wires the white from the 3-wire together and left the red alone..or I tied the whites from the 2-2wires and the red and left the white from the 3-wire alone.........One of these combos' didn't work and tripped the breaker, so I tried the other and the breaker didn't trip when I flipped the light switch....the problem whith the "right" combo I touched the black pig tail and the remaining single wire together with a voltage tester and it didn't light up despite the fact that I know the black pig tail had power (I tested it).

So here is the question....the set-up now doesn't trip the breaker when I flip the switch, but it also doesn't seem to complete a circuit when testing with a voltage tester (the light doesnt come on)..

I'm stumped

Old 02-23-04, 06:35 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You say that it's tough to tell red from white. Well that explains why it appears that your switch was miswired. What you reported is indeed wrong, but if you misidentified the red and white, it explains everything.

You're just making things up at the ceiling. Don't do that. It's dangerous. Joe's directions were essentially correct, but he had a typo. Change the very last word of Joe's post from "switch" to "fixture" and follow his directions. I'll repeat them here:[list=1][*]Connect the three black wires from the cables together. Do not connect these wires to the fan!!! This is very important.[*]Connect the three white wires from the cables and the white wire from the fan.[*]Connect the red wire from the switch to the black wire from the fan.[*]Connect all grounding wires.[/list=1]Above all, stop guessing!

Old 02-23-04, 07:02 PM
bstack15
Visiting Guest
Red to Black wire?

Is is ok to run a black wire off of a red wire to a ceiling fan??

Old 02-23-04, 07:04 PM
bstack15
Visiting Guest
Wiring 3 wires for a ceiling fan

Thanks to John and JoeD for your help...it worked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: