Confused wiring following outlet replacement

Old 02-23-04, 03:09 PM
Daniela
Visiting Guest
Confused wiring following outlet replacement

I just replaced all the switches and electric outlets in my home. Now there is no electricity in 2 adjoining walls. I suspect the problem might lie in the first double switch along one of the walls without electricity. Here I have 3 black wires and one red wire. One of the black wires and the red wire come out of the wall, the other 2 black wires come from a pigtailed wire.
I just assume that this is where my problem lies because all the other outlets and switches along that wall or right next to it are straight forward. I tried all sorts of combinations but nothing seems to work. It's not the fuses either. Everything worked before I changed switched and outlets. Help, I don't know what to do anymore!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-04, 03:21 PM
hotarc
Visiting Guest
Based on what you've said, I would assume that the power enters into this 2-gang switch box thru one of the black wires. This wire is then pigtailed onto the two switches and possibly another black wire providing a constant feed to the receptacle outlets. The red wire connects to the second screw on one of the switches and there should be another black that connects to the second screw on the other switch. I'm assuming there was a switched receptacle controlled by one of these switches? That would probably be the red wire's job.

For a more complete analysis, please give us a complete inventory of the wires in this 2-gang switch box, reds, blacks, and whites, and then tell us what these two switches originally controlled.

Old 02-23-04, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 black wires and a red wire...

You're obviously missing a few wires, or mis reading the wires.

You need to fifure out where the wires go from this outlet (or come from) and which wires are hot all the time, switched hot and neutral.

Of course you should have marked the wires before you started.

Also, was the tab broken between the two hot halves of this outlet?