Blown TV....

Old 02-24-04, 07:21 AM
T
ToddNY
Visiting Guest
Blown TV....

A friend of mine has been remodeling a house into a 2 apt complex with 1 apt already being occupied. He cut the main copper water line coming in from village water to re-route. The copper pipe is grounded to the panel with a additional wire grounded to a rod. From what he tells me, when he cut the pipe he smoked a TV and a power pack that was also on the same circuit. I check all connections and everything seems to be tight. One thing I did notice is that the neutral coming from the meter box was beginning to oxidize on the lug and that it had a .01 amps going out to the meter. Does any one know why ?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-04, 08:53 AM
J
Received 140 Votes on 126 Posts
Sounds like the neutral wire is open. The service panel was using the water pipe as a the neutral. It was probably backing feeding down the water line out the neutral wire in a neighbour's house. When you cut the water line the neutral went completly open. An open neutral will put put unknown voltages on hot legs. It could be 0 volts to 240volts. It depends on how balanced the loads are between the to hot legs. This will most definitely affect anything eletronic. It will even blow out light bulbs.
You need to investigate the neutral wire in you service entrance.

Old 02-24-04, 09:08 AM
T
ToddNY
Visiting Guest
That's what I thought...... but the ground wire to the water pipe and the ground wire on the ground rod are under same lug. So that would take care of the nuetral theory. would it?

Is there supposed to be amps leaking out the SE wire?

Old 02-24-04, 10:08 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No it would not take care of the neutral.

Power has to get back to the source, the power company.

If the theory is correct, the return current was travelling out the water pipe, into one or more neighbors houses and back to the power company via their neutral.

When the water line was cut, the return current had nowhere to go. The ground is not as good a conductor as a water pipe or a wire.

Old 02-24-04, 06:37 PM
T
ToddNY
Visiting Guest
How would I solve this problem then? What about the .01 amp I have on the neutral wire going to the meter box?

Old 02-25-04, 04:44 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Call the power company immediately and have them check their wiring.