Running Electric to a detatched garage

Old 02-24-04, 02:49 PM
Porter
Visiting Guest
Running Electric to a detatched garage

I have a detached garage approximately 50 feet from my house. I want to run electric to it so that I can have an interior light, 2 exterior flood lights as well as an outdoor electrical outlet to plug my travel trailer (camper) into. The camper, when plugged in, will charge the batteries on the camper as well as run the lights, refrigerator/freezer and sometimes the air conditioner A(in the camper). My breaker box in the house is approximately another 50 from where the line will come into the house (total of approximately 100 feet from breaker box to garage).
Any suggestions on what gauge wire I need to run and how I should set this up in order to have the right set up to handle the possible load? I plan on burying the line and then punching through the foundation and running it straight to the breaker box.

Old 02-24-04, 03:43 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What are the current and voltage requirements for the camper?

Old 02-24-04, 05:48 PM
Porter
Visiting Guest
I'm not exactly sure but it’s a 120-volt system and the maximum amps pulling is from the air conditioner on start up at about 16 amps.

Old 02-24-04, 06:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What kind of connector does the trailer have? (How do you plug it in?)

You want to know the answer to this before you proceed.

Old 02-25-04, 04:26 AM
Porter
Visiting Guest
The electrical system is a combination 12 Volt (Direct Current) and 120 Volt (Alternating Current). The 12 Volt system is powered in 3 different ways: separate batteries attached to the camper, a converter that changes the 120V A/C to 12 V D/C and by the tow vehicle’s 12-Vole system when hook up.
The 120 Volt system is supplied by plugging a power cord into an outside source. The power cord is a heavy-duty cable with a 4 prong grounding plug (50 Amps) that goes directly to the power converter inside the unit. This cord is what is plugged directly into an external 120V source. It has a special adapter that reduces the 50 Amp plug to fit a regular 3 prong 30 Amp receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: