outlets connected to togle

Old 02-24-04, 03:51 PM
jkeene
Visiting Guest
outlets connected to togle

I first changed the switch on the wall (togle). When switched on - power sent to outlet on the wall as it should. I then changed the outlet. It had 3 white wires, a red and a black. I used the same ordering of the wires as the old outlet had but the new outlet is not working. Do I need an outlet with particular specifications for this set up??? Please advise, Thanks.

Old 02-24-04, 04:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You aren't describing the wires properly.

Check the colors again. You should not have more white than other wires.

Did the switch control the entire duplex receptacle, or only half of it?

Does the outlet work at all now?

I am guessing that the old outlet has the hot side tab broken between the top and bottom half, but that yoiu neglected to do this on the new outlet.

Old 02-25-04, 06:35 AM
jkeene
Visiting Guest
Yes, it does have 3 white wires. Why, not sure but that is how the old one was/is. It was only the top half of the outlet that was controlled by the switch.

I was not aware of a a hot tab. I will check this out. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-25-04, 07:37 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Duplex receptacles (commonly called outlets) have a top half and a bottom half. There is a small tab between the two screws on each side of the receptacle. If you want the receptacle to function with both halves the same and on the same circuit then you leave the tab intact.

However, if you want each half to be on a different circuit, or you want one half to be switched and the other half not switched then you must break one or both of the tabs, depending on exactly how you want the outlet to function and how you have it wired.

Old 02-25-04, 12:34 PM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
When you say the receptacle doesn't work now, Do you mean it is always on and can not be switched off? Was only 1/2 of it switched off? Break the tab off the gold side only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: