Just Installed a Generator for the House... (w/ pics).

Old 02-24-04, 06:56 PM
rbad
Visiting Guest
Talking Just Installed a Generator for the House... (w/ pics).

Hi Guys...

I've been a lurker here for a LONG time.

Between the knowledge that I have learned here, and my prior experience, I did a few huge projects in my house.

Here are the photo albums (3 of 'em): (we took a ton of pics just to get to test out a cool new digital camera )
http://216.91.16.122/index.php?cat=7

The genset alone --- the "img" tags don't seem to work ,,,/????

#1. I pre-wired my entired house 2 years ago during construction.
(including cat5e / RG6 coax / etc.....)
(the poco couldn't get me a 400 amp service. they had already buried aluminum feeder cable under the street for a few hundred feet. and the idiots didn't even encase it in PVC for protection or later upgrades, etc...)

The contractor doing the development hired the lowest bidders (including electrical contractors). While looking at the other homes that were framed and being wired at the time, I saw horrendous work. So... I offered the electrical contractor a ton of ca$h to not do ANY work and give me 4 months in the house for my wife and I to do everything.

#2. I run a web hosting service from the basement of my home, so I decided to install a genset this past month. I had originally planned for one and had the contractors pour me a concrete pad in the back yard.

and... YES -- I KNOW ! Everything is kinda overkill....

there are 4800 sq. ft in the house and 6 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. I seperated as much of the lighting (for future automation applications?) and home ran a ton of cable back to the service.

I even ran a dozen nm (12/2 and 12/3's) up to the attic for future "stuff" (fans, gutter heating, etc..) and ran 8 empty 2" pvc conduit from attic to basement (capped on each end) for future "expansion".

Other than the doubled up neutrals under the screw terminals in the subpanel in the middle, does anyone notice anything GLARINGLY WRONG?

And... should the generator be bolted down to the pad?
(the manual suggests that it "could" be done)

Note:
- the "left" panel is the main service
- the second panel is the primary subpanel
- the next panel is dedicated to emergency/generator loads
- the switch to the far right is a 3pdt (center off) manual transfer switch (using now to switch over to gasoline generators in the event of the new nat. gas genset)

- the LEFT (tan in color) box is the automatic transfer switch that came with the generator. (100amp) . I am not using the breakers in it. Just one 60amp 2-pole to feed to the "emergency sub panel" at the far right.

Oops.. forgot to mention:
I had to extend the TINY (25'?) length of wiring from the genset to the xfer switch. (and changed it from #6 or #8 to #2). The total run was aprox 65' from the generator to the transfer switch.

Thanks !!!

Old 02-24-04, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would bolt the generator down to the pad. If you don't care to can you please provide your address, I need an extra generator.
Enough said??

Old 02-24-04, 07:19 PM
rbad
Visiting Guest
Oops... I forgot to add one more item (and tip)

I ran all of my data/video runs from each point back to the telecom room. I did NOT run them in conduit, but I DID run 3/4" blue carlon "non-metalic conduit" from each of these data points. (and MANY from our home theater area and my office) down to the telecom room.

For EVERY single data/video run on the 2nd. floor, I ran a piece of empty carlon tubing up to the attic (and fastened in the attic to a roofing joist)

For EVERY single data/video run on the first floor, I ran carlon tubing down to the basement (either to the telecom room / or / just 10" protruding into the basement ceiling joists. (unfinished basement)

This will allow me to get fiber or ANY new type of wire/technology to any box in the house WITHOUT having to snake a darn thing.

I had a total of over 60 runs done w/ the carlon stuff and it only cost me about 200 bucks extra) We put "data/video/telecom" points in every room and on all 4 walls in most rooms. (we had no idea where the furniture was going and I had tons of time on my hands.

Also... If you are pre-wiring, PLEASE run a few pvc conduit runs from the attic(s) to the basement !! (even cheaper solution-- use central vac pipe.)

Thanks again for all of your help over the past few years !

Old 02-24-04, 07:21 PM
rbad
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by jughead
I would bolt the generator down to the pad. If you don't care to can you please provide your address, I need an extra generator.
Enough said??

WOW! Great point !! (i had NEVER thought of the theft aspect)

Thx..

Old 02-24-04, 10:09 PM
u2slow
Visiting Guest
I dig the utility covers for the GFCI plugs

Old 02-25-04, 02:09 PM
rbad
Visiting Guest
Which GFI plugs?

Old 02-25-04, 04:04 PM
V
Originally posted by rbad
[B]Oops... I forgot to add one more item (and tip)
I ran all of my data/video runs from each point back to the telecom room. I did NOT run them in conduit, but I DID run 3/4" blue carlon "non-metalic conduit" from each of these data points. (and MANY from our home theater area and my office) down to the telecom room.
This belongs more in Voice & Data, but Carlon also makes a larger diameter orange conduit (generally refered to as "innerduct") that is designed to mate up perfectly with the large cable management rings on their low-voltage "boxes" (which are really just rings). For much of the low-voltage wiring I've done professionally, we used bundled cable (2xRG6QS + 2xCat5e), which was just under 3/4" in diameter, and would never pull through the smaller conduit.

Still, a very good idea, and pretty much what I've been planning for my home remodel.

One area of concern is how did you insulate the openings going into the attic created by the nm conduit? Around here, code requires that even the smallest holes be sealed, both for fire propagation and for energy efficiency. (and with the ice dams we're seeing this year, you begin to appreciate why).

Old 02-25-04, 04:33 PM
rbad
Visiting Guest
Hi Vector,

Thanks for the info on the innerduct!

When we first bought everything for our house, the "bundled" cable was pretty rare and I really wanted to stick with Belden all the way around. (we used the datatwist 350 5e and their quad sheilded rg6)

All of the vertical holes were sealed up with some type of spray similar to "great stuff", but that was fire retardent. (the ahj recommended it by name and i just went out and bought a few cans.

I also put (WITHOUT using the solvent-glue) conduit "end caps" on both ends of the conduits running attic to basement so that the wouldn't act as "chimneys".....

Old 02-25-04, 04:44 PM
V
Carlon's name for the product is Resi-Guard. And looking it up, they only use a 3/4" to a standard low-voltage box anyhow, so I was wrong about it being larger (it is available larger, but the boxes only directly accept 3/4")

Sounds like you sealed everything up pretty well. Looks like the datacomm side of things is done very nicely.

The 120/240V looks nice too, but I'd be a bit concerned about how tightly you have all the wires bundled up. It looks great and neat and very professional, but in fact, when you cluster a large amount of circuits together, you may have to derate the capacity of the circuits, due to the increased heat.

It goes against everything you learn when doing low-voltage, structured-cabling stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: