interference from switch

Old 02-24-04, 07:14 PM
roland2002
Visiting Guest
interference from switch

hello
i have a 2 switches-one controls a small fluorescent kitchen light, another controls a larger fluorescent light between the kitchen and living room. the rooms are open to each other. if you turn on the larger light while the tv is on then there is quite alot of interference on the screen. i took the larger light apart and re-grounded it with a self starting screw to the box and still got interference. i was told that i could take the neutral and pigtail a ground off that, same story. i also went to the receptacle where the tv is plugged into and replaced that and no luck. then someone told me that the cable might not be grounded properly and that may be the problem. i am out of things to try and the only thing left is to not turn the lights on when the tv is running!
unless someone in the forum has heard of this before. sorry for the long post.
tks Roland

Old 02-24-04, 07:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pigtailing a ground off the neutral is the worst advice you've ever received in your entire life. It's very hazardous. No TV program is worth that!

Old 02-25-04, 04:40 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do not ever attach the ground to the neutral. As John said, that advice is plain wrong. I suggest you never take advice from that source on anything again.

Properly ground your outlets (the TV receptacle, and the outlets (switches and fictures) for the florescent lights.

Old 02-25-04, 01:36 PM
W
WFO
You might have a bad ballast in the flourescent light, too. Do both of them do it?

Old 02-25-04, 06:43 PM
roland2002
Visiting Guest
switch interference

racraft-i always trusted the advice that this electrician has given me and i figure the guy is a union supervisor and usually works on big jobs with quite a few other electricians to lead.
wfo- i am going to check if the ballast is bad.
i have been thinking about just taking out the flourescent light and installing a regular fixture.
thanks for the replies
roland in Ct.

Old 02-25-04, 06:50 PM
R
Okay, maybe I was a little harsh in that advice.

However, the advice he gave you in this instance could kill you. Do not follow that advice under any circumstances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: