Controlling Lights from a Switch

Old 02-25-04, 06:01 AM
cfreel
Visiting Guest
Question Controlling Lights from a Switch

In my basement, I have of course a switch at the top of the stairs and at the bottom that both control the light in the stairwell and at the bottom of the stairs. I also have 3 additional lights in the basement that are not controlled by the switches but rather each has its own pull cord. What I would like to do is rewire so that ALL the lights will be controlled by the two switches. How might I go about doing this? Relative novice at this...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-04, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may be able to do this with no rewiring, or you may need to add wiring between one or more of the lights.

Are these lights all on the same circuit?

Do you know if the lights are wired from one to the other? (Are there wires that you can directly trace from one light to the next?)

If the lights are one the same circuit, and if the wiring to those other lights does not branch out all over the place, but rather only serves those lights then you may be able to rewire those lights without new wire. Otherwise you will have to add new wire from the light at the bottom of the stairs to the other lights.

Old 02-25-04, 07:12 AM
cfreel
Visiting Guest
HELP!! With Lights controlled by switch

Yes, all the lights have a common wire that runs through all of them. I think eventually it may even have a branch that runs into the switch control. I have not traced it any further than the basement so I don't know if the wires lead elsewhere, but since the basement is unfinished you can see that they are all connected. I don't think I'll have to run new wiring, but I'm not sure how to connect them all to the switch(es) so they all operate as one.

Last edited by cfreel; 02-25-04 at 08:42 AM.