Dryer outlet

Old 02-25-04, 05:29 AM
Gypsyqueen
Visiting Guest
Question Dryer outlet

Hello,
I am new here and hoping to get help with a question. I have a stacked washer and dryer. I have moved into a house where plumbing for washer is on one side of room and dryer outlet is on the other. The outlet in question is the kind that attaches to wall and there is no box. I have moderate experience with electrical work, i.e. I have wired new outlets and switches where there were none. My question is this, would it be okay to remove old outlet, run wires into junction box, then extend wiring to new position which is approx. 8 ft away? This is an older house and the wiring for outlet runs into room at ceiling, down thru conduit and into receptacle. Or would it be better to run wire from service panel to new area and can someone with my experience handle it. Naturally, this is the 3 wire not new 4 wire. My dryer is also 3 so if possible to extend would rather because of less hassle but not sure on safety issues. If I extend I would be intending to use the same receptacle. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Gypsy

Old 02-25-04, 07:08 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Existing 3-wire installations are grandfathered. New installations require 4-wire cable. Moving an outlet from one side of the room to the other seems to fall in the gray area between these. If it was my interpretation that counted (which it doesn't), I'd say that this is not a new installation.

Considering all the work involved in moving not only the receptacle, but also the ducting work (with the increased inefficiency created by the extra length and bends), I'd at least think about a new dryer.

Old 02-25-04, 07:17 AM
Gypsyqueen
Visiting Guest
There will be no need to extend venting because there is a capped off vent on other side of room, so that is no problem. Thanks for your response and help,
Gypsy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: