new outlet

Old 02-26-04, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new outlet

I want to tap into a 20 amp circuit to add a new outlet for a microwave. The outlet box I want to tap into already has 2 12 guage lines in it. Can I add a third, and if so how? Or do I need to install a junction box in between the 2 outlets?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-04, 08:28 AM
There are many, many electrical codes for a kitchen. So it may not even be legal to tap into this circuit in the first place. And even if it is legal, it may not be a good idea. Please provide more detail so that we can help you figure that out.

No junction box is needed. All you need is wire nuts and pigtails.

Old 02-26-04, 08:37 AM
Not sure what details you want-but here's the situation: I am replacing an exhaust fan/light combo with an over the range microwave. I don't feel comfortable wiring the microwave outlet with the line from the old exhaust fan because it is only a 15 amp circuit and also has a lot of lighting and outlets on it. The 20 amp outlet behind the gas stove only has a couple other outlets on it, and no lighting at all. Hope this helps. Thanks for your help...

Old 02-26-04, 08:49 AM
Some more details: The outlet box behind the stove has 2 12 guage lines coming in to it. The grounds are tied together, and the hot and neutral are connected to the push in connectors at the rear of the outlet. One of my concerns was another line entering this box would make it overcrowded, especially with the addition of the wire connectors and pigtails. I don't think it would be right to tap into the outlet at the screw terminals as I would then be using these in addition to the push in connections. Thanks again....